« 1 (2)
Anonymous  
Re: Goldy, need your advice please #11
yep, you can get several varieties (please dont ask for latin names) although i think its correct name is vallisera so something like it, you can get a giant variety, and a twisted one that is very pretty,looks like long grass, and i find its pretty indistructable. I have had a number of different plants and this one has out lived them all, send out runners so even though some of the outside leaves die back its slowly grows round your whole tank, its easy to just pull up though if it get too rampant. Makes a great backing as well. di
FionaDouglas FionaDouglas
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 7/7/2004 13:20
Cycling going to plan? #12
Hi Goldy

Last Wednesday I set up the tank with gravel, live and silk plants and rounded stones which (I hope) won't hurt the moor's eyes. That night I added the dechlorinater to the water and started the filter and heater (at 22 deg C) running. The next morning I put in the Stress Zyme along with a pinch of fish food, and added the handful of mature gravel and mature ornaments. I have been running the light for 10 hrs a day and the thermometer is showing 22 deg C. A couple of days after I started the cycling the water appeared cloudy but now it is clear.

I was all set to add the second lot of Stress Zyme today when the guy in the shop said I was going the wrong way about this. He thinks that, as there are no fish in the tank to cycle it, there is nothing to eat the bacteria in the Stress Zyme and has offered to lend a small oranda for this purpose. He also said that if I introduce fancy fish to a tank that has been cycled the fishless way I will kill them.

What do you think - am I on the right track?

Fiona xx.

FionaDouglas FionaDouglas
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 7/7/2004 13:48
Re: Cycling going to plan? #13
Sorry, I forgot to ask - are the tetra 5in1 test strips ones that you can use to test the water without having to use chemicals? I've bought ammonia, nitrite and pH kits by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals but the skull and crossbones on the packaging is putting me off just a bit!
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/7/2004 14:18
Re: Cycling going to plan? #14
I have never heard of anyone killing fish with a fishless cyle before "although it is new" but if I had known about it when I first bought my fish "knowing what I know now" I would of given it a go first to save the fish the stress of being almost poisoned, luckily mine survived but that is one of the reasons they suggest using some mature gravel etc that already has the bacteria on to seed the tank, keep doing what you are and don't use the poor fish, get some test strips and monitor the cycle.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 7/7/2004 14:34
Re: Cycling going to plan? #15
I take it you have read the post on fishless cycleing as this is a clip taken from one of the articals:

No fish
Some treatments on the market are designed to be used on their own, without fish, since they provide an alternative food source for the bacteria. Obviously, you’re not exposing any fish to pollution, but you do have to look at a bare tank for a few weeks.

Most fishkeepers do mature their new aquaria with fish, but if you’re the patient type, these treatments are probably the best option.

Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 15/7/2004 8:56
Re: Cycling going to plan? #16
Hello Fiona I just took a look at your profile to see where abouts you are from and I take it that is Perth,yes so I am wondering now if the plants will be the same over there as here
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 15/7/2004 9:03
Re: Cycling going to plan? #17
Isn't Perth in Scotland? James' relatives are from Scotland, near Perth
They have a song -
It's really worth
Going to Perth
There's lot's of things to seeee
Routin' aboot the toon
For all the familyyy

Are you thinking of Perth in Australia Goldy???
have i missed the point here
Resized Image
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 15/7/2004 9:05
Re: Cycling going to plan? #18
I did wonder if it was Scotland or Australia I guess scotland is more viable not woken up yet