[img]http://i275.p
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 7/6/2008 11:19
Re: sexing kribs #2
Most shops have mostly females , its the exception to the usual, captive breeding tends to result in a sex split bias to females, when you see a male you'll know it, blander, longer and bigger, heavier mouth, longer but less pretty fins. Less distinct about colour on the belly, if theres purple its spread wider and less distinct, females look almost like they have a sore belly sometimes. Perhaps it'll help you see the signs if you see an adult male. This is a four year old.

Resized Image

This one was uber-dominant most of the time. Fish like him are probably the reason most sold and wanted are females. He was a right little sod, would chase anything off. Nim liked his cave, was his cave and no-one elses. Even saw him grab an amano shrimp by the back of the carapace, take it bodily across the length of a 40 gallon and throw it against the glass. "GET OUT"

Said shrimp was unharmed, but looked very confused.
Resized Image
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 7/6/2008 18:03
Re: sexing kribs #3
hmm me thinks ive got 2 femails then oops do you have breeding kribs lhg wink wink
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 8/6/2008 18:33
Re: sexing kribs #4
Lol, no unfortunately I havent, its about the only small cichlid species ive owned and yet never bred- and primarily its Nim's fault, he's a wifebeater. He did for three, he nailed the first one when he was a youngster,and forced the other one out, and she died from stress after,then I tried him again a year later, he paired up they layed eggs then he killed her in an afternoon while I went out shopping, and ate the eggs. He was later tamed by guttata jewels who taught him to stay in his damn cave.

Specifically this jewel. Small,pretty, calm most of the time, but when challenged, totally nails.

Resized Image

I wouldnt want to run into that if I was a krib either.
Resized Image
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 8/6/2008 23:52
Re: sexing kribs #5
ime going to have to try and get some picky s up c if you can id them my eye site is useless