« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »
afrosteve afrosteve
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/8/2006 23:40
Re: advise for newbies from newbies #21
Not sure if that would work but i did read the other day that if you're going to plant your tank them it's best to use uncoated gravel. Something to do with coated stuff not absorbing nutrients etc
lionhead lionhead
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 18/2/2007 21:20
Re: advise for newbies from newbies #22
I do agree with you. But i follow the 1" per 1 gal formula. I had a 2 gal tank and had two fish in it. They both lived long lives but did die. And eventualy stored the tank away, so i don't know if it always workes, but thats what i follow!
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 18/2/2007 23:51
Re: advise for newbies from newbies #23
And can I ask what do you call long lives lionhead as two gallons is far too small for any fish long term let alone two
Lissy Lissy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Ayrshire
  • Posted on: 19/2/2008 13:28
Re: advise for newbies from newbies #24
Just registered with this website and have been reading through some of the information on fish tanks. I had been just about to go and buy a bio orb 30 ltr fish tank to keep pearlscale goldfish in but after reading some of the comments I have discovered that they are not very highly rated by people who already have them.

Could anyone offer me advice on a good make of fish tank for someone who has never kept fish before???
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 19/2/2008 13:39
Re: advise for newbies from newbies #25
Tetra, Rena, Fluval, Juwel, Clearseal, and many others do good tank setups including all the basics.
They're all good but it depends what you want. Just make sure that it has a good surface to volume ratio. (ie rectangular) and big enough for the fish you want.

I'd recommend you look at 4' tanks as a minimum really.
MissD MissD
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 19/2/2008 13:48
Re: advise for newbies from newbies #26
I was close to buying a 30 or 60L Biorb too - thankfully I didnt, but only because I heard the media was unsuitable for my pleco. However I still bought a tank far too small.

If you are looking for something compact and bijou, go for the largest tank you are comfortable with, and opt for less fish or smaller fish. As a rule here I think they recommend 35L per fancy goldfish.
LOrmy LOrmy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cornwall
  • Posted on: 5/6/2008 17:12
Re: advise for newbies from newbies #27
Hi im 17 and have just bought my first tropical fish tank! its only a small 28l one as i dont want many fish, just a few for me to look after and get used to it until i upgrade to a much bigger marine tank in a year or so.

I assumed fish keeping would be easy peasy and then i came onto the internet and discovered i was completley wrong! but this has not put me off! infact quite the opposite! im obsessed! ive found myself studying up on thousands of fish!!

Just wondering if anyone had any advice on nice beginer friendly fish?? i was thinking maybe a couple of cherry barbs and guppys?

Also i would like a nice and helpful tank cleaner! maybe a dwarf catfish?

any help is greatly appreciated!

=D
5 Cherry Barbs
- Princess Laya
- Jemima
- Dot
- Dennis
- Beau

=D I LOVE them!!!!
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 5/6/2008 17:33
Re: advise for newbies from newbies #28
hi lormy, welcome to the forum.
glad you havent been put off by finding out theres a bit more to it!
have you read about maturing the tank without fish?

the 28l tank you have is a bit on the small side for any fish that need to be in a shoal (cherry barbs nad other small fish generally live in shoals - 10 is really a minimum) for enough of them to feel safe in their group you would be overstocked.
for your size tank, the best fish choice would be a Betta splendens (siamese fighting fish) as they are best kept alone, and only one male can be kept per tank anyway.

adding another fish to 'clean' the tank is also a bit of a red herring, algae eating fish will not eat all types of algae so will not keep the tank clean, and also will have a specific diet that it will need to survive, and especially in a 28l tank, any algae that is edible will be eaten quickly.

i dont want to put you off any of the fish you like the look of, but they arent really good choices for the tank you have, and as you have already found there is way more to it than you thoguht there would be, and this is just the tip of the iceberg! but if it hasnt put you off so far, it probably wont, as the more you find out, the more interesting it is :o) hope that helps
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
LOrmy LOrmy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cornwall
  • Posted on: 5/6/2008 17:56
Re: advise for newbies from newbies #29
Thanks alot that really helped =D

So would 1 Betta and a catfish be ok? i just really like catfish Lol! and i think fighting fish are gorgeous so happy to hear i can have one of those! I could feed the catfish algea wafers cant i?

there really is so much to learn! its facinating!!!

=D
5 Cherry Barbs
- Princess Laya
- Jemima
- Dot
- Dennis
- Beau

=D I LOVE them!!!!
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 5/6/2008 18:28
Re: advise for newbies from newbies #30
Unfortunately corydoras catfish also need to be in a shoal so that would rule them out in that size of tank.
You can however get very pretty algae eating nerite snails - either at www.snailshop.co.uk or gogosnails on eBay, but both are out of stock at the moment.
[url=http://www.bigfishcam