meerkat meerkat
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/6/2004 21:21
BiOrb start-up #1
I know that BiOrbs are becoming very popular, and as the happy owner of a BiOrb and three fab telescopic fantails, I just wanted to alert any new BiOrb owners to a couple of points:
- the instructions that come with the tank say that it's fine to add your first fish after a day. I would strongly recommend waiting a month, and cycling the water first. Get some water tests, and make sure the nitrite levels are good before getting fish number one.
- don't get more than three very small fish. My guys, Goldie, Serpie and Scales, are all babies, and they will need a new home before too long.
- ask Goldy if you need any advice
Resized Image
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 27/6/2004 22:59
systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 29/6/2004 8:50
Re: BiOrb start-up #3
Thanks Meercat,

That is reassuring to hear.
I'm currently cycling a BiOrb an am planning on adding fish in a couple of weeks...

I had considered going tropical 'cos small coldwater fish I find a tad boring (dannio's and minnows). But I think I may stick with the original plan and add two small goldfish and upgrade the tank later....

How big are your babies? 1.5" long.. smaller???

:)
meerkat meerkat
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Posted on: 30/6/2004 21:19
Re: BiOrb start-up #4
Good for you, systemattic! I think whoever wrote the BiOrb instructions about adding fish after 24 hours should be suspended in nitrate high water to see how they feel about it
My crew are about 1.5 inches long: if you can find telescopic eyes, I'd recommend them. They're very active and I love the constantly surprised expressions on their faces. They eat like it's going out of fashion, and love ripping up the plants.
kezbabe kezbabe
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 3/7/2004 21:50
Re: BiOrb start-up #5
I've had the BiOrb for about a year now, and i haven't had a fish last in it for more than 3 months. The oldest standard small goldfish that i've had was the 3 month old one that died today - A WEEK after I cleaned the tank out!!!

I can't see that i'm doing that much wrong. I've put fish in the tank after leaving it for about 2 months with no fish in it. I don't over feed, or under feed.

I have a bad feeling it is the water around here. I live in Portsmouth and the water here is AWFUL!!! When i cleaned the tank out, it was done exactly to the instructions - i also brita filtered the water (yes that took forever ).

The fish sorta swim in a twist and then end up bent in half floating about - but they're still breathing! It's really awful to watch.

I'm going to get the water tested at pets at home cos they have a free tester thing tomorrow, hopefully that will throw something up.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 3/7/2004 22:42
Re: BiOrb start-up #6
Hello kezbabe and welcome to fishkeeping Now where do I start, well I guess the first question I should ask is although you you left the tank empty for 2 months did you actually cycle it before adding the fish because it has to go through a cycle to make it safe for the fish, other wise they will be swimming around in a toxic solution, see attached link http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/bcycling.htm and do you test your biorbs water at all including your tap water, also do you use a water conditioner to remove the chlorine and chlorimine etc, I know you said you brita filtered it but that may not be so good as it may be too pure, although not sure on that, When you clean the biorb do you clean the ceramic media fully or use a gravel cleaner as cleaning it fully will kill of the good bactera and course the biorb to recycle, it could be a number of reasons the fish died but if you follow meerkats example see thread http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... opic_id=61&forum=1&jump=1 then there is no reason why you can not keep a couple of small fancy goldfish happily for at least 6 months untill they out grow the biorb or you could try white cloud mountain minnows and the likes, any problems or worries just ask and we will do our best to help you. Good luck
Quote:
Wrote by kezbabe
I'm going to get the water tested at pets at home cos they have a free tester thing tomorrow, hopefully that will throw something up.

Let us know how you get on
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 5/7/2004 15:24
Re: BiOrb start-up #7
Hi Kezbabe

My dad is in the Navy, so i have visited Portsmouth, Southampton, Plymouth & Falmouth regularly and my dad sometimes says the water is "brackish"?? from what i can work out it's something to do with filtered sea water, you can taste it in the water - i know!
I wonder if it's something related?
Resized Image
meerkat meerkat
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Posted on: 14/7/2004 17:27
Re: BiOrb start-up #8
Hi kezbabe - so sorry to hear about your poor fish.

Just a word of warning about the BiOrb: if you have one, get a spare air pump. Mine failed yesterday, causing major panic. My very good aquatic shop (who replaced the pump with a better one) told me that in order to keep costs down, the pump that comes with the orb is really not a high enough spec. And having a spare one will save you any worry if the original one stops.