« 1 (2) 3 »
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 1/3/2008 19:59
Re: Thinking about going on another Rescue Mission #11
Just having a little think about the legal implications of the FK paramilitary wing - Geneva convention and all that, don't order the uniforms yet ... though maybe Lord Goldsmith could be prevailed upon for a favourable opinion ...
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 1/3/2008 20:06
Re: Thinking about going on another Rescue Mission #12
Try saying very politely (but firmly and loudly ) 'Can I speak to the manager please?' in your very best posh phone voice. The posher you sound, the more the sales assistant craps themselves works every time.

PS try not to lose your rag with the manager, the may ask you to leave the shop
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 1/3/2008 20:19
Re: Thinking about going on another Rescue Mission #13
I'm liking the idea of Admin's uniforms Armed with Coralline's business cards and bluegourami's plastic kipper - and we're sorted, lol.

Hey - we could form our own charity - the Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Fish
T.L
Resized Image
Gavins Gavins
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 1/3/2008 21:30
Re: Thinking about going on another Rescue Mission #14
Do the guns come with the uniform

I feel the only tactical solution is if you have concern about the stock is to speak to the manager..

Voice your opinion to make the lives of these fish happier whilst instore..
[G]olf [A]lpha [V]ictor [I]ndia [N]ovember
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 1/3/2008 22:19
Re: Thinking about going on another Rescue Mission #15
Quote:

Gavins wrote:
Do the guns come with the uniform

No, you'll have a small squadron of highly trained tactical attack hermit crabs - far more suitable to scuttling up trouser legs than the average Alsatian, excellent for focussing attention

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth - a polite word in a friendly fellow fishkeeper fashion is more likely to help the situation I've pointed things out to shop staff before now in various lfs and each time they've dealt with the issue (whitespot, a single corpse, an ulcer, fin rot - different shops as I say, not all in the same one!) - much harder for them to do nothing if you're seen as trying to help And as Fishy-Fishy says - come across as posh, authoritative and confident with the nice voice and you'll get a head start

You could buy the fish in question but it won't help the ones that come after it, only improved knowledge on the part of the staff will do that
It's Not Just A Fish
furiousferret furiousferret
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/3/2008 22:54
Re: Thinking about going on another Rescue Mission #16
i wonder if forming a 'society' thing is such a bad idea? after all the rspca and sspca had to start somewhere?
i wouldnt mind and lets face it the animal societies dont seem to bother with fishes welfare. ''its only a fish''
Resized Image
Who is the Fifth Cylon? answers on a postcard...
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 1/3/2008 23:15
Re: Thinking about going on another Rescue Mission #17
The RSPCA are heading in the right direction, very very very slowly. Part of the problem is they have to swing the opinion of the public mob before they can make suggested changes to the law so they can enforce the protection.

The other part of the problem I'm sure is that they have limited funds and there is still plenty of work to be done with fluffy cute animals getting abused that get them headlines and public support.

There are a couple of fish protection societies (OATA) but mostly they seem pretty ineffective. They dont get the funding, publicity or legal support they need to actually change much. Some shops sign up to follow their fairly lax rules but how many people ask a store, "are you a member of OATA?" before buying their 10L tank and 4 goldfish?

Then theres the group that wants a complete ban on keeping fish as pets.

Could we do it any better or would we end up as a bunch of screaming nutters getting frustrated with peoples ignorance and unwillingness to look facts in the face?
furiousferret furiousferret
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 1/3/2008 23:27
Re: Thinking about going on another Rescue Mission #18
at least the Rspca is doing something albeit not much. the Sspca couldnt care less.

i dont think a complete ban is necessary however some control has to happen. half of the cruelty seen just in shops wouldnt happen if fishes had fur and feathers instead of scales.
Resized Image
Who is the Fifth Cylon? answers on a postcard...
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 15/3/2008 17:46
Re: Thinking about going on another Rescue Mission #19
Update.

Well, I've just come back from P@H again, bought 3 plants for £5 (desperately needed them, because the cabomba in the 44gal is more bare than a tree in winter - otherwise I'd have got them online), and I'm sad to say that, even though it's been 2 weeks to the day, the Rummy Nose and the Cherry are still in the tanks on their own .

I was hoping they would have been moved by now, but the staff either don't care, or are too busy to notice
T.L
Resized Image
scott_888 scott_888
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 15/3/2008 18:22
Re: Thinking about going on another Rescue Mission #20
in p@h the other day they had a rather large chilchid in a 40 litre tank already buzy with much smaller fish. When I enquired nothing was done so I reported the store to the head office online - within two days it was sorted