(1) 2 »
icthytitch icthytitch
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cleveland
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/3/2004 14:59
Black Moor #1
my black moor is fit & well in all respects except for a white growth or slime on the tail fin, it is not of a cotton wool like appearance, more sort of waxy looking.
there are sort of islands of this "slime" then they expand to unite into one long patch.
i have treated the tank with eSHa 2000 as per the makers instructions on two seperate occaissions, no effect on the "slime".
i have tried Melafix, this reduced the "slime" slightly but only to the "island" form. it does not seem to go away completely.(carbon was removed from filter whilst treatment underway)
the tank is 20 imp. gal
water- pH = 7.5, ammonia 0, kH= 5.0, gH= 11.0
nitrite 0.25, nitrate 10.
other fish in tank are white cloud mountain minnows show no signs of similar "slime"
any suggestions as to what the slime is & how i can be rid of it.
thanks for any help.
ray.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/3/2004 14:26
Re: Black Moor #2
Hi icthytitch I am not 100% sure what the slime is but it could be down to your water parimetors, the Ammonia should be 0, nitrate 0, so it sounds like the fish may be just be trying to protect itself with a slime coating "they do this at times" black moors are quite sensitive, do you use a water conditioner when doing water changes at all and how often do you part change your water, if your fish is eating ok and swimming around ok then as long as there is no sigh of fungus eating away at the fins then I wouldn't worry too much.
icthytitch icthytitch
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 16/3/2004 11:04
Re: Black Moor #3
thanks goldy. i do weekly 20% water change, always use stress coat & stress zyme. the ammonia is ok at zero, the nitrate is between 5 & 10 ppm, quite acceptable i would have thought. like you say it does not seem to effect the fish, i will just continue to monitor the condition,
perhaps i am just the worrying type ha ha
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 7/4/2004 19:04
Re: Black Moor #4
How is your blackmoor doing ichytitch was it just a slime coating .
icthytitch icthytitch
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 11/4/2004 11:02
Re: Black Moor #5
the moor is ok, still fit & eating anything it can get its fins on . the whitish slime is still present but in a reduced form. water ok nitrate 5ppm, ph 7.5, nitite 0, ammonia 0, gh 11, kh 4. i am wondering if it is carp pox, after all a moor is a form of goldfish & they are of the carp family.
i dont think its going to do him?her? any harm now.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 11/4/2004 14:00
Re: Black Moor #6
Hi ichytitch what temperature is your tank at as I do not think it is carp pox, fancy gold fish like warmer tempertures than regular goldfish, so if your tank is on the cool side that could be the reason for the slime, Read this on carp pox and you can compare and see if it resembles what your fish has:
CARP POX; appears in the form of grey transparent blister like spots (waxy lumps), which increase in size until they eventually merge together. Carp Pox is usually not fatal and there is no known cure, however as the fish gets older it will become less prone to the virus.

Try warming the tank up abit to 24c and see if it makes any difference.
icthytitch icthytitch
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 16/4/2004 12:53
Re: Black Moor #7
the temperature is 24*c , has been for a couple of months. as i said the "slime" does not seem to bother him, but it bothers me! curious is it not.
thanks for your assistance goldy.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 16/4/2004 13:07
Re: Black Moor #8
Have you tried treating the fish at all, maybe you could try using some melafix as that is gentle compared to regular disease treatments, and see if it makes a difference as the slime it bothers you, it won't hurt the fish at all.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 16/4/2004 13:18
Re: Black Moor #9
Sorry ignore the previous post I have just re-read your original post to refresh my memory. I guess the melafix is no good then.

Ps.
Take a look at this link and see if any of it could be the reason for the slime:
http://www.eshalabs.com/disease.htm
icthytitch icthytitch
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 20/4/2004 20:02
Re: Black Moor #10
thanks goldy for the link, i have checked it out. i have actually tried one of their products, the eSHa2000, no apparent effect on the "slime".
as it does not seem to cause any problems then the fish & i will have to live with it, constantly monitored of course. i hope to shortly rehome him in a new tank, will have to see if that makes a difference.
thanks ray.