EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 16/2/2008 22:37
New challenge, more mini life in the marine tank. #1
First up, this thing was on the rock when I bought it as a little dangle of snot. I tried not to break it off when I posistioned the rock and tried not to pour gravel over it when I do my water change. After several months I can see its grown, about 1cm. Only the brightly coloured top bit has grown. It's now about an inch and a half from rock to tip. So it must still be alive... what is it?Resized Image

Next thing, since the fish moved out quite a lot of these settle on the front glass from time to time. This is the best pic I can get as they're really tiny and the cameras autofocus wont see it. Ever tried using manual focus on a 1.5" LCD ? Trust me, its not easy.
Resized Image

Finally, these things... now I know the thing to the upper right is a tube worm or filter worm of some type but below and more central - sadly also slightly out of focus - are some soft knobbly white things that have grown over the last few weeks.
Resized Image

smarttony smarttony
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Middlesex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/2/2008 22:52
Re: New challenge, more mini life in the marine tank. #2
First pic does it move around or still. if it still then it could be some kind of sponges as there are alot of colourful ones with different shapes too. If it growing then u are doing something right there as sponges don't seem to survive well in tank and usually get eating.

2nd pics I think are glass anemones not good actually but could be wrong.

3rd pic not clear but is it bit of sand put together as I've load around my tank and inside are some kind of worm that covered them with sand also harmless. HTH

Tony
Resized ImageResized ImageResized Image
Resized Image
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 16/2/2008 23:48
Re: New challenge, more mini life in the marine tank. #3
Quote:

smarttony wrote:
First pic does it move around or still. if it still then it could be some kind of sponges as there are alot of colourful ones with different shapes too. If it growing then u are doing something right there as sponges don't seem to survive well in tank and usually get eating.

Doesn't move, except with the water current.

Quote:
3rd pic not clear but is it bit of sand put together as I've load around my tank and inside are some kind of worm that covered them with sand also harmless. HTH
Tony

No, I've seen the worms you describe and its definately not one of them. Just a collection of white blobby thing really not sandy at all. They move a little but stay rooted to the spot. It's the 4 things in the middle of the lower half of the photo.
felixflame felixflame
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 18/2/2008 9:12
Re: New challenge, more mini life in the marine tank. #4
hey!

all i can say is that ive got several of the green thingys on a peice of my rock also,

i did some reaserch a while ago ago it and found info on www.liveaquaria.com

from what i can rememebr is that they are either a coral or a form of algae...

ill try and find a link

Phil
Resized Image
felixflame felixflame
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 18/2/2008 9:31
Re: New challenge, more mini life in the marine tank. #5
FOUND IT!!!

the first pic is "Neomeris annulata"...

here's what its says from http://www.coralreefnetwork.com/marlife/stepath/chlorophyta.html

Quote:

This is surely one of the most distinctive seaweeds in Hawaii. N. annulata has a fingerlike form, grows to 4 cm high, and is found in tide pools, on reef flats, and in subtidal habitats, where it often grows in groups in depressions in the rock. The tips of this seaweed are green in color with a fuzzy appearance that is produced by many fine hairs. The lower part is calcified and white.

do a google image search for the name and there load of different variations...

hope that osrts out the cafuffle

Phil
Resized Image
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 18/2/2008 10:12
Re: New challenge, more mini life in the marine tank. #6
yup, first one on google images looks just like it.
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 29/2/2008 14:08
Re: New challenge, more mini life in the marine tank. #7
Found a photo of the last mystery guest in one of the books I got for my birthday. It's a Finger Hydroid. Which is a pest but wont be for long.