suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 7/2/2008 13:25
Question from PeteEddowes #1
Hello - Pete added this to the whitespot thread in general info but I thought he might get more specific advice here

"First post! woo!!

I'm very new to this, had a tank runing for about 8 weeks now.

Background:
54L, Juwel filter.
No live plants
Latest water: NO3- 25, NO2- 0, pH 8 (today)
Approx 30% water change yesterday as NO3- high.
Stock: 3 molys, 2 dwarf gourami, 2 golden rams

I've had quite a few ups and downs (as I'm told is usual for newbies) and I'm currently treating for fin rot on one of my Rams. (waterlife Myxazin, day 4)

Now I notice that the other ram is flicking and has white spot. I read on the side of the Myxazin that it shouldn't be mixed with other meds.

What's your advice? Presumably salt treatment would be compatible with the myxazin??

Also what's the difference between table salt and auqarium salt??

cheers,

Pete "
It's Not Just A Fish
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 7/2/2008 17:14
Re: Question from PeteEddowes #2
Hi Pete (and Suey )

First of all, I could be wrong, but I think the tank is a bit over-crowded. Really, the Rams should be in that sized tank on their own as far as I know. If I remember rightly, both the gourami and the rams (especially the rams) are territorial. If this is the case, the "finrot" might not be finrot at all - but bite tears caused by territorial disputes.

Secondly, unless otherwise stated, no meds should be mixed. I know from bitter experience it's a catch 22 situation. Do you treat for WS, or finrot? Treat and save one fish - or save them all from a parasite which could kill them?

I think my advice would be to quarantine the ram with a torn tail, and start treating the display tank for WS. Catch it early enough and you'll save yourself a job later. Run carbon in the filter for 2 days, and carry out a 25% water change. LHG, the disease advisor, might disagree with that, but that's what I would do.

Good luck
T.L
Resized Image
Goldnugget Goldnugget
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 7/2/2008 17:16
Re: Question from PeteEddowes #3
Table salt contains caking ingredients and impurities you don't want to add to your tank so never use this as a treatment, aquarium salt all the way!
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 7/2/2008 17:22
Re: Question from PeteEddowes #4
You can use sea salt or rock salt from the supermarket but check the ingredients for any anti-caking agents. Table salt is definitely a no-no as Goldnugget said as it always has anti-caking agent and possibly other gubbins in it
It's Not Just A Fish