(1) 2 »
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 31/1/2008 11:20
Ramses Update. (Good news, for a change) #1
The Nutrafin Ammo test that I got yesterday still shows 0 but I'm going to continue carrying out partial water changes anyway. The water was fully dechloronated, of course, (I'll not be forgetting THAT again) but I still hesitated and added more dechloronator anyway for the boiled water (Think I've just about finished the bottle - it was only a small one. Luckily I bought Aqua Plus yesterday).

There's a fourth thing on Ramses' weekly menu!! I bought him jellied bloodworm yesterday, tried him with it today and he loves it! Going to try the jellied daphnia next. It is a bit annoying, considering he won't have the freeze-dried version like the barbs and tets, but it's a relief that there's something else for him to eat - it's not just the pellets, brineshrimp and tubifex (when it sinks) anymore

Ramses himself is an excellent colour today, and acting normally. He's active, eating and curious about everything that I do with the tank - even coming up to investigate the test tubes!

Thanks for all the valuable help and support I've received on this site this past week.
T.L
Resized Image
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 31/1/2008 11:26
Re: Ramses Update. (Good news, for a change) #2
That's great news! Got any pics?
Goldnugget Goldnugget
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 31/1/2008 11:36
Re: Ramses Update. (Good news, for a change) #3
Well done Linz, thats great news.
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 31/1/2008 12:11
Re: Ramses Update. (Good news, for a change) #4
Thanks guys

I don't have any recent pics of him yet, but I'll get some uploaded soon He's getting a new tank in 2 weeks' time, too - bigger than the one he's in at the moment and - more importantly - it has a light so taking future pics of him is going to be a little easier .
T.L
Resized Image
lollypop lollypop
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 31/1/2008 17:06
Re: Ramses Update. (Good news, for a change) #5
im glad things are going in the right direction for you and ramses.

lolly
today i am lime flavor.
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 31/1/2008 17:23
Re: Ramses Update. (Good news, for a change) #6
Thanks lolly
T.L
Resized Image
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 31/1/2008 21:37
Re: Ramses Update. (Good news, for a change) #7
I hate what that fish puts you through! Glad all's quiet for the moment.
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 31/1/2008 22:10
Re: Ramses Update. (Good news, for a change) #8
Thanks Cathie. I think it's fair to say I've been to hell and back with him - especially this week - but I can never call him boring

How are the shelldwellers?
T.L
Resized Image
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 31/1/2008 23:37
Re: Ramses Update. (Good news, for a change) #9
Sounds like quite a ride of worry. Im now trusting you have a great deal of respect for the better apistogramma keepers out there. They have your problems and more sometimes.

Still, youve done, what many have failed to do, which is behaviourally, and immuno establish a (probably) singapore bred ram. Not easy by any standard. Bit like taking on an abandoned baby cow thats never had a first feed of colustrum. Their life doesnt even start until their immune system and will to live kicks in. Now youve crossed that line things will be much easier.

The life story of you and your ram is not only good because it sounds like a success, but also because it stands as a firm warning to people who might not be willing, or indeed skillful enough to go through what has been achieved here when impulse buying a badly bred ram of unconfirmed descent from a store.

Public service announcement. lol

Big kudos to linz for winning the day despite a purchasing error, and for handling a learning curve surprisingly few get through with the fish still alive, and also an excellent lesson for people thinking of buying apistogramma and relatives without checking the source of stock.

Linzs save was exceptional, dont assume you can do the same. It took months for this ram to get where he is now, and that is merely acceptably safe from harm and its own weakness. Message being, dont go for asian mass imports just because they may be cheap and plentiful. You can go back over linzs threads and see how often she nearly lost him to his own fragilities, despite making no major error at any point , other than in the initial purchase of the fish.

Rams should always be selected for strength, vibrancy, and to have come from only a few generations distance of good orginal wild state stock. No fancies like balloon varients or longfins if you want a healthy fish, establish them for protozoan complaints and always, always choose the most reliable filters and tank equipment. The merest ammonia or nitrite spike can knock these guys dead on their butts.

Linz had the excuse of naivete at the beginning, now she knows better,and if you read her posts, now so do you! No excuses any more! LOL.
Resized Image
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 1/2/2008 8:43
Re: Ramses Update. (Good news, for a change) #10
Quote:

longhairedgit wrote:
Sounds like quite a ride of worry. Im now trusting you have a great deal of respect for the better apistogramma keepers out there. They have your problems and more sometimes.

It's been a nightmare, LHG. I can safely say I'm glad this week is nearly over. There've been times I've gone to bed not knowing if he'll still be with me in the morning (not that that's anything new!!)

Quote:

The life story of you and your ram is not only good because it sounds like a success, but also because it stands as a firm warning to people who might not be willing, or indeed skillful enough to go through what has been achieved here when impulse buying a badly bred ram of unconfirmed descent from a store.

I hope others will learn from my other posts - but to any new(ish) fishkeepers out there thinking about getting a Ram cichlid for the first time - think VERY carefully! Read the caresheets, ask questions, research other sites - and then ask YOURSELF if you're prepared to take on a fish that WILL challenge you emotionally and mentally - because if it's a (probably) Singapore bred fish - that's what it'll do! I thought I was ready after doing all of the above (minus the self-questioning) and looking back, I was far from ready! DO NOT get these fish if your attitude is "It's just a fish".

Quote:

Rams should always be selected for strength, vibrancy, and to have come from only a few generations distance of good orginal wild state stock.

His girlfriend (when I get her) will be coming from the local "expert" Tom, who apparently, only sells wild-caught Rams.

Quote:

No fancies like balloon varients or longfins if you want a healthy fish, establish them for protozoan complaints and always, always choose the most reliable filters and tank equipment. The merest ammonia or nitrite spike can knock these guys dead on their butts.

Another warning to would be Ram keepers: If it has a beautiful long tail/fins - STAY AWAY! Go somewhere else if you really think you're ready for the challenge - but do NOT get a long-finned Ram cichlid (RIP Aries).
T.L
Resized Image