Animal Welfare Vote
purplepower purplepower
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 31/1/2008 22:54
How much poo!! #1
I now have two nerite snails in my tank and there is poo everywhere!!! I am doing a wtaer change tomorrow as my nitrates have gone above 40ppm. Ammonia and nitrites remain at zero.

Obviously I will be able to root through the gravel with my manual vac when I change the water, I just wondered what was the best way to get rid of the poo between the water changes?
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 31/1/2008 23:08
Re: How much poo!! #2
you dont need to really, if you do a small water change every week or two, just enough to remove any debris you can see. most waste will break down and get used up by the plants, so dont worry too much, your tank does not need to be sterile, also snail poo is fairly well broken down anyway.
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
purplepower purplepower
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 31/1/2008 23:22
Re: How much poo!! #3
Okay thanks :)
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 1/2/2008 23:13
Re: How much poo!! #4
you will find they will poo a lot when first added to your tank as their will be an abundance of food for them but in time this will settle and they will feed normally best give them an algae wafer every few days after about 2 weeks of adding them
[img]http://i275.p