trigger trigger
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 24/6/2004 23:40
cycle with ammonia #1
hi all, i want to cycle my tank using the fishless mythod. for those of you who have done it, can you tell me what ammonia you used and where is the best place to purchase it. i want the pure ammonia, with nothing added. would be much appreciated if you could let me know. takecare. kind regards. trigger.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 24/6/2004 23:55
Re: cycle with ammonia #2
Hello Geoff I take it you are starting up another tank up so why don't you just put an extra filter in your established tank untill it builds up the good bacteria then transfer to the new tank with some of the old tank water as this will speed up the cycle of the new tank and save you having to use Ammonia ? also have you not read the how to cycle post on here
trigger trigger
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 25/6/2004 0:10
Re: cycle with ammonia #3
hi julie, thanks for the quick reply, i never thought of putting the other filter in. great idea. would i not need to use any ammonia then ?. no i have not read the how to cycle reports. which forum are they on. if you could let me know please julie. takecare buddy. kind regards. geoff. ps. hope everyone is happy and well
Anonymous  
Re: cycle with ammonia #4
as julie says geoff, replace one of your old filters in you existing tank with a new one, and put the old filter in your new tank, also do a water change and add the old water to the new tank, Ive also heard to you can add un frozen prawns only one to two, and then remove it after a few days, to speed up the process, and of course a pinch of fish food a day. Fishcrazy which i know you go on has some good guides on this process.

http://honors.montana.edu/~weif/firsttank/cycle.phtml

http://www.aquariumfish.net/pages/fishless_cycling.htm

there are hundreds of resources on the net about it geoff.

what fish are you gonna be adding.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 25/6/2004 12:59
Re: cycle with ammonia #5
Geoff When I got my new Rena tank all I did was set it up with sand put the wood in part filled it with fresh water conditoned with aquasafe added some plants, topped it up and put my mature fluval 4 filter in that I had already from the 4ft tank to work with the new rena filter until it built its own bacteria up, put some cycle in to give it a boast and everything was fine, and that was it no adding anything like prawns, as long as you have a filter that is mature and is big enough for the tank in question also some old tank water from you exsisting tank then that should be all you need just put the new filter in your tank with your other one if you have room.

Quote:
no i have not read the how to cycle reports. which forum are they on.

they are at the top of this coldwater forum geoff
Anonymous  
Re: cycle with ammonia #6
Thats asuming you dont need the filter for you other tank goldy, when i get my new tank, will filter will be twice the size and i need the fluval 2 for the 25 gal tank.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 25/6/2004 16:08
Re: cycle with ammonia #7
At the time I was replacing the 4ft with the Rena so didn't need the old filter for it, but now I always leave a smaller internal filter in my main tank as well as using the external then if I need to set up say the hospital tank in a hurry I always have a mature spare filter to fall back on and the hillstreams like the flow from the outlet