furiousferret furiousferret
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/1/2008 20:03
new planted tank #1
ok.

i am adjusting the smaller molly tank in the living room, into a beautiful water garden with mollies.
i hope.

i am awaiting delivery of special super dooper substrate and stock from plants alive. (due tomorrow!)

i have decided not to use co2 injection.
for now at least.

forgot to get a new bulb, what wattage of light should i be looking at? the tank is a jewel record 60 or 70. cant remember which. 2 foot anyway.

also, ive never really managed to get plants to establish in any of the tanks, except the vallis that grew and produced runners in the big tank, until the then residents realised and munched it.

is there anything i really need to know? will be following pfks articles as much as (financially) possible.
Resized Image
Who is the Fifth Cylon? answers on a postcard...
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 22/1/2008 20:11
Re: new planted tank #2
Plants thrive in stability, same as fish really. Keep the plants that suit the temperature and water hardness of your tank, same as fish really.... hang one, something has to be different.

In the early days a planted tank can have a lot of algae growing in leaves, be patient and dont introduce any delicate specimens until the tank has matured, oh that bits the same as fish too....

Ah heres' one, plant growth and health is as much to do with the roots as the stems and leaves. By adding a good quality substrate half the battle is over. Next they need nutrients in the water and good quality light.

The lighting for the tank should be the best you can afford. On my 2' tropical tank I have 2x24W T5. I wouldn't recommend more than this but also I wouldn't advise under 30W. With all the dimensions of the tank and a list of intended plants I can work out what would be exactly right for you, or you can just read my article on this site and work it out yourself

However if you already have the starter and dont want to buy a new one then get the tubes that match the capacity of the starter. You cant attach a 48W tube to a 20W starter!
furiousferret furiousferret
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/1/2008 20:22
Re: new planted tank #3
ok dokey, the light in it came with the tank, but it looks pretty dull, so i need to replace it anyway.

i will check the wattage of the starter when i turn the tank lights off later, i had no idea the starters had wattages!

the unit is integrated into the hood, so can i put a bigger wattage starter in if the original is too 'small'?

as for the plants it is 1x (small) tropical collection and 1x (small) bargain surplus, so it will be a surprise. oh and a java fern growing on a 'terracotta stick'.

im sure the substrate tub said tetra on it but i could be wrong. it was yellow, i know that much.
Resized Image
Who is the Fifth Cylon? answers on a postcard...
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 23/1/2008 1:08
Re: new planted tank #4
ye tetra complete substrate bloody good stuff lol and i get all my plants from there good quality but you have to find out what they are in the mixed its best if you have there catalog to hand for quick id book

if you got the smallest mixed one they do you should get some good amazon swords mine are of like crazy ive had to take 3 of the 5 out of my nano as they where kiting all the light from the rest

good luck with it all and hears some good lighting upgrades for in your hood bulbs arnt included tho so consider that with the price

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/cata ... act-t5-lighting-units.asp
[img]http://i275.p