« 1 (2)
systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/6/2004 19:15
Re: Even More worring #11
I Came home today with a second pump, to move him into a large bowl I have, with clean water..

too late though, he must have died sometime today... :( very sad.

I now have a tank with live plants, white spot and fungus in there and not a clue as what to do next...

Goes without saying I'm not getting any more fish until I have a stable cycled tank (learnt something for this at least). But what to do?

Clean out the aquarium and add fresh water to start cycling? (will that get rid of white spot?)

Or should I continue with current water, finish white spot treatment and then start cycling the tank?

or something else...?

Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/6/2004 19:24
Re: Even More worring #12
So sorry to hear he didn't make it, its never nice when we lose a fish that we have got attached to I am not 100% sure but I think whitespot need a fish as a host to survive so if you just empty the water out of your biorb and fill it with fresh the bacteria on the ceramic should help speed the cycle up otherwise it would mean starting from scratch if you were to empty the biorb and sterilize it all (a strong salt solution should do) but at least you would be reasured that it was all fresh and cycled for the new additions, good luck
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 24/6/2004 10:16
Re: Even More worring #13
I'm sorry to hear your fish didn't make it

I have given up now with fungus treatments as i think it made my 2 fish i lost worse. I used Interpet no 8 treatment i think-anit fungus anyway and within a day or so of treating the fish they died. I will not be using it again. And i did exactly as the instructions said, i did A Level chemistry so am careful with solutions etc to get them right
The only "un-natural" remedy i have is JBL white spot treatment, which turned the water a bit blue when i used it. That seemed quite a gentle treatment and cleared the spot off the orandas tail after 2 days. It said in the instructions improvements should be noticed after 3 days.

I know i go on and on about it but the Supa Aquarium Salt i have has been the best all round cure and for preventing infection. But i noticed you were advised to only use 2 teaspoons of salt, i thought the ratio was more like 1 teaspoon per gallon? maybe thats just for the salt i have
Resized Image
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 24/6/2004 10:19
Re: Even More worring #14
I use Interpet aquarium salt and as far as I know its 1 teaspoon per gallon to add to the tank.
Here you go read this:http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/salt.htm
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 24/6/2004 10:29
Re: Even More worring #15
Correction, i have just re-read your post-you said 2 tablespoons, which i suppose is more like the 6 teaspoons required to treat 30 litres, so it was probably the right amount of salt you used.
Resized Image
systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 24/6/2004 22:44
Re: Even More worring #16
I shall tread more carefully new time...

I do suspect that I was the treatments adding to a already stressful environment for my fish... and me being too hasty and adding white spot treatment straight after the anti-fungus as Goldy pointed out...