« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 13 »
kirmy kirmy
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Inverness-shire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/11/2007 14:25
Re: Swimbladder Answers #51
How so? I have just buggerised about with mine tearing them out of the gravel and scrubbing them with the scourerer when they get fuzzy, accidentally hoovering them and dropping them onto Zaphod the Corey. How are mine thriving and yours not??? Hmm I do over feed my fish hence my constant testing and cleaning. Perhaps thats it..oh and the dead fish that gets muched by the filter every now and again! God I'm a disgrace.
Resized ImageWhite spot, plukes, flukes, dropsy,swim bladder disorder and constipated...otherwise fine thanks!
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 17/11/2007 19:02
Re: Swimbladder Answers #52
The tannins in your tank are so heavy, that the plants are probably becoming light deprived. The ph is also very acid for goldies, just take out the bowood, change the water slowly with twice weekly water changes, and use carbon. Sometimes mopani and bogwood has to be soaked for weeks before you use it unless you actually wanted amazon conditions. Your new ryukin has just gone from being in a hardwater setup at the stockist to something a discus would find a bit brown.

While tannis in themselves are not harmful, they will be seriously pushing your ph down at that level, the goldies wont like that too much.

I would also be very worried about a "swimbladder cure" since there is no cure for swimbladder issues in a bottle. Swimbladder issues have multiple causes, also to do with environment and feeding, and meds cant always help with that. IMHO marketing a cure as a swimbladder cure should be illegal, the same as marketing dropsy cures should be.

There is no one single cause or necessarily any bacterial cause to swimbladder issues, and such meds are bound to be a crock.Any med of even the broadest range of effect could only ever confront perhaps one out of 5 potential causes of swimbladder failure.

Tank needs the tannins reducing as the main priority.
Resized Image
kirmy kirmy
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Inverness-shire
  • Posted on: 17/11/2007 23:39
Re: Swimbladder Answers #53
Hi LHG,
Tannins have been drasticly reduced since the pic was taken through water changes . The mopani causing the issues has been removed and the water changes have been carried out. I can only ever get the Ph to 6.4 to 6.8 at a pinch here. My other tanks are the same due to the nature of the water in Mallaig, minus mopani wood issues. Hmm I am lothe to use ph up or down products as I worry it will be a slippery slope of chasing Ph's all over the place.

I have withheld meds upon your advice and that of others and will continue with the antibacterial and anti fungal treatments until they run the 7 day course.

Thank you for taking time to answer my myriad of annoying questions. It is very kind of you and deeply appreciated by me. Your a gem!

Thanks
K
Resized ImageWhite spot, plukes, flukes, dropsy,swim bladder disorder and constipated...otherwise fine thanks!
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 19/11/2007 16:57
Re: Swimbladder Answers #54
Can't remember whether this appears earlier on in this thread:

http://72.41.192.212/Articles/Buoyancy.html
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
jewi-lewi jewi-lewi
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/11/2007 17:03
Re: Swimbladder Answers #55
i impressed my family when i told the answer about fish on the QI quiz on children in need it was about the causes of swim bladder and how its solved
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing!!!

Just Keep Swimming

Lewis
kdpt29 kdpt29
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 16/12/2007 16:18
Re: Swimbladder Answers #56
I have 2 normal goldfish (not the fancy kind) that I have had for over 10 years. They are in a 20 gallon tank. I'm pretty sure one has a swim bladder problem. He has been floating near the top (right side up or on his side, not upside down) on and off for a few months, but recently it has gotten worse. I have cleaned the tank with partial water changes, started soaking the flake food prior to feeding and offer peas as treats. He got better for a week or two, but now he just sits on the rocks at the bottom. His tank mate will nudge him and he can swim briefly, but seems to struggle and get tired so goes back to the bottom. Would anyone recommend the Swimbladder treatment medication? Where would I purchase that and would it adversely effect the not ill fish? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Howard Howard
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 16/12/2007 16:23
Re: Swimbladder Answers #57
Hi there,

Can you post your test results please and your maintenance routine , water changes and what not ?

Many thanks
Resized Image

Keep your friends close , but your anemones closer ....
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 16/12/2007 16:29
Re: Swimbladder Answers #58
Hi. Welcome to FK

Before you go rushing in with medication, what (apart from the flakes) do you feed the fish? Have you tried peas and/or lettice? Have you noticed the fish pooing? Could just simply be a dietary or constipation problem rather than something that needs medication.

Next point. That tank is nowhere near big enough for 2 commons. Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear. I'd consider a tank double the size of the one you have as a minimum if you're going to keep them in a tank. Ideally, the fish would be better off in a pond, but that's going to have to wait until Spring at least.

Post back with the answers Howard has asked for
T.L
Resized Image
kdpt29 kdpt29
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 16/12/2007 17:05
Re: Swimbladder Answers #59
So, about the tank size, I just finished reading another post on that and will work on that in the future. Poor fish! Seem that they have plenty of room, but guess not.

Test results - haven't tested the water and can't until the snow storm clears so I can get the store, but will ASAP. Any thing specific I should get?

Maintenance: 20% water changes ever few weeks, treat with water conditioner during changes, have bio-wheel filter

Food: mostly dry flakes (now soaking them before feeding), newly giving them peas (is it bad if the frozen peas have salt in them?), tried iceberg lettuce - they want nothing to do with it

Pooping? - haven't seen either of them poop the one that is sick or the healthy one, so don't know

Good news - since the water change today, he is at least moving a round a little more, but now struggles to stay horizontal, he turn vertical quickly, but not floating or sinking right away

Any recommendations are welcome!

Thanks, KD
Howard Howard
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 16/12/2007 17:11
Re: Swimbladder Answers #60
Are you in the US ? No snow in the UK at present .....

You need to get tests for Ammonia , Ph , Nitrite , Nitrate ... your fish store may be able to do these for you , but if they do , get them to give you the numbers , don't just accept them telling you ' Yeah , they're ok ! '

Ideal readings are , Ammonia 0 , Nitrite 0 , Ph (anything between 7 and 8.6 ) , Nitrate between 5 and 40 ....

Salted peas are probably not a good idea , the salt will be absorbed into the fish. I just use shelled defrosted frozen plain peas.

Does sound like swimbladder to be honest, there are a variety of meds available in the UK , not sure about US ones , to be honest US meds are probably better , because the stuff that we have to have prescribed over here by a vet , you can buy over the counter. See what the fish store recommends ... Peas usually sort swimbladder though.

Good luck

H
Resized Image

Keep your friends close , but your anemones closer ....