(1) 2 »
Howard Howard
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/12/2007 10:22
Whitespot Myths and Facts ... #1
Found on U.S. forum , but reproduced here because it's a good read ...

MYTHS AND TRUTHS
Resized Image

Keep your friends close , but your anemones closer ....
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 14/12/2007 11:35
Re: Whitespot Myths and Facts ... #2
Excellent reading, thank you.
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 14/12/2007 13:39
Re: Whitespot Myths and Facts ... #3
Also confirms what you told me in the first place about needing to take all my fish into quarantine to copper or hyposalinity treat them and clear the WS completely. In the new year I think this will be first on my to-do list in the mean time no more fish and I hope the UV, paraguard, garlic and careful maintenance of water quality will be enough to keep things under control.

60 days in quarantine... poor fishies.
Leggy Leggy
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 14/12/2007 17:03
Re: Whitespot Myths and Facts ... #4
Very good read....but I think I would have to say that tho I do agree about the hospital tanks - it is a luxury that most cannot afford or have to space to cater for one.
On the basis of the 'feed well' approach - I have been forced to try that method and in my opinion maybe due to luck - worked very well...havent had a outbreak since.
Sooooo if the cleaner shrimps or cheaner fishes are not eating the parasites .... what are they eating so happily on the infected fishes ???
RedEyeTetra RedEyeTetra
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Buckinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 14/12/2007 17:10
Re: Whitespot Myths and Facts ... #5
Good read. God knows how I am ever going to clear it out of my tank. As Leggy says, many of us don`t have the luxury of hospital tanks and any other method with kills my live rock and inverts.
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 14/12/2007 17:59
Re: Whitespot Myths and Facts ... #6
Yup thats good info, a lot of protozoa , sporazoa and fungi work on similar principles , which is why I recommend QT for 2 months.

The situation with hexamita infections are much the same, and I had to do some myth debunking of my own a few years back, and am constantly repeating myself.

When people start talking garlic, feeding, treating in situ without affecting the reef- just stop listening , its rubbish.All these groups have to be treated properly, and their life-cycle far exceeds most peoples estimations. Its not incurable, but it is bloody difficult to treat, and then theres a huge amount of confusion caused by misdiagnosis of similar ailments.

Even the taxonomy of the two major in infections that cause diseases both known as "whitespot" or "ich" are hugely confused. One was primarily fungal, another was mostly protozoan (though both defy those descriptive terms and reside somewhere between those two evolutionary groups) and at one stage in taxonomy they even had the same scientific name!

Then combine that with freshwater "ich" and thats recipe enough to confuse the hell out of most people studying the subject.

One thing is for sure though, no homeopathathic diet regime, or mild cure shifts any of them, none of the cures are reef or invertebrate safe, and protocols for treating all of them require on high levels of toxicity, long treatment times, and when necessary , segregation from the reef. You QT past the cycle of infection, and you treat afflicted fish, and thats pretty much all there is to know.

I think most people are made victim, because of common fishbuying culture, and the reliance on UV which does not provide real control in importers , shops, or in the home. Once this lie is exposed, and the idea of running a disease free aquarium on a small budget with short cycle times and no quarantine is exposed as being as impractical as it really is. Why so many people fail to run healthy marine aquaria ceases to be a mystery. Its because of lack of investment in infrastructure even in the home.

Ich is there to remind us that marine keeping hasnt been quite as democratised as many shops and industries would have us believe, and that you have to consider quarantine, multiple aquaria, and have a knowledge of LR free aquaria as well as your final destination aquarium.

Its a major bummer, but there it is. Marine aquaria remain very expensive if you want disease protection.Anything else is rolling dice. In the absence of decent diagnosis, and reef safe treatments, (and that really does appear to be the genuine current situation,) quarantine and segregated treatment is all you have to rely on.

Well done for pointing that article out howard. Seriously well done.
Resized Image
Howard Howard
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/12/2007 18:10
Re: Whitespot Myths and Facts ... #7
Awwww...

I'm blushing here !!

I just lifted it from another forum , i didn't write it
Resized Image

Keep your friends close , but your anemones closer ....
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 14/12/2007 18:21
Re: Whitespot Myths and Facts ... #8
Quote:

Leggy wrote:
Sooooo if the cleaner shrimps or cheaner fishes are not eating the parasites .... what are they eating so happily on the infected fishes ???

I gather they're eating the visible bit, (egg sacks?) which in itself seems a little helpful. I doubt they'd ever get every last one though.
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 14/12/2007 18:28
Re: Whitespot Myths and Facts ... #9
Damaged tissue, scar tissue, secondary infected tissue and damaged slime layer usually. Theyll have a pick at anything that looks infected. Its all food to them, and a fish that isnt sure will still have a test bite. Unfortunately its not as specific as helping a fish shift ich.
Resized Image
Dan200s14 Dan200s14
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Somerset
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/1/2010 23:37
Re: Whitespot Myths and Facts ... #10
I'm panicing about my fish at the moment as I have been using a water life treatment and if anythig it has got worse...