marko marko
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/11/2007 20:09
Sick fish diagnosis help #1
Hi
I have just noticed one on my little lemon gold fish has developed a couple of growths that I can't identify. Can anybody please help diagnose what they might be and if possible a treatment.

I'm hoping I've caught it early this time as I have recently just lot 2 fish to ulcers that I tried hard to save but they didn't manage to pull through.

Theres 2 growths on my fish, and the one that is really concering me is the one in the gill. So far all I have done is dose the pond water with acriflavin as I know it's a broad spectrum anti-biotic and whilst I had the fish in the net I srayed both growths/wounds with an anti ulcer spray.

Attach file:

jpg  (651.66 KB)
4979_474b27efa6f15.jpg 2048X1536 px
FairgroundFish FairgroundFish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/11/2007 20:21
Re: Sick fish diagnosis help #2
I think it is the ulcers again mate, but this time you have spotted it before it has erupted into an open sore.
marko marko
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 26/11/2007 20:33
Re: Sick fish diagnosis help #3
Here the photo of the gill

Attach file:

jpg  (670.99 KB)
4979_474b2d5aa2bd9.jpg 2048X1536 px
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 26/11/2007 20:35
Re: Sick fish diagnosis help #4
GREAT PICS AGAIN MATE.
LHG IS SURE TO BE ABLE TO DIAGNOSE.

sorry 4 caps! kids!
marko marko
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 26/11/2007 20:37
Re: Sick fish diagnosis help #5
I really don't want too loose another fish to ulcers, at this rate I won't have any left in the pond by spring.

I've still got a tank in the garage I could isolate the fish in to treat him, but after the 'sucess' I've experience to date with treating fish I'm unsure if isolating does more harm than good.

Any ideas for ulcer treament, I've tried interpond anti ulcer, and acrifilavin to date and none seem to have worked.
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 26/11/2007 20:37
Re: Sick fish diagnosis help #6
Not something I've had to deal with but I've been googling and found some reading for you

http://www.pond-doctor.co.uk/longulcers.html

http://www.vetark.co.uk/fishulcers.html - this one says you can get some stuff from Boots that might help.

You can put savlon on fish, if you haven't got anything else perhaps a dab of that or germolene might be an emergency measure for now

I've had a scan through some other stuff and most seem to recommend a 0.3% salt solution i.e. 3 grams of salt per litre of water.

HTH for now, hopefully one of our pond advisors or LHG will be around to have a look for you

Poor little guys, so horrible to see them with such nasty wounds Fingers and fins crossed you can sort it.
It's Not Just A Fish
marko marko
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 26/11/2007 20:42
Re: Sick fish diagnosis help #7
Could the growth / wound on the gill be an ulcer or is this something I should try and treat before treating the ulcer near the fishes mouth?

It not a fungal infection is it?
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 26/11/2007 20:53
Re: Sick fish diagnosis help #8
From my knowledge, which is not ace with ulcers tbh, they tend to be bacterial sometimes.
It does not look fungal. I have recently lost 2 fish to fungal type things, 2 Moors, one of which was very large, the other a baby.
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 26/11/2007 21:18
Re: Sick fish diagnosis help #9
PM LHG He'll look at the post straight away then (Poor blokes gonna revoke his good intentions and take back what he said about PMing him)
T.L
Resized Image
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 26/11/2007 22:09
Re: Sick fish diagnosis help #10
lol not at all.

Probably pseudomonas, and the reason they arent responding to treatment is because a common misconstrument is occurring- namely the confusion between contact antibacterials and systemic antibiotics continues. ACCRIFLAVINE IS NOT AN ANTIBIOTIC- if it were, it would be a prescription drug.

Unfortunately what is needed here is a real internal systemic antibiotic preferably from the oxytetracycline group. Time to call the vet and get some real antibiotic , these contact antibacterials can only shift surface infections in peripheral cases, and prevent some transmission, but they will do nothing to cure a seriously infected fish, and it look like things have gone far beyond that.
Resized Image