louiseongley louiseongley
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/3/2004 15:43
Goldfish upside down #1
My Gold fish is bobing upside down on the top of surface, it is still brething. And when put food in its fine eats it than goes back upside down. It does not seem to be able to stay down in the water. can anyone help.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 10/3/2004 21:31
Re: Goldfish upside down #2
Hi louiseongley your fish sounds like it has swimbladder trouble, it can be treated with a swimbladder treatment like interpets, but you could try giving your fish garden peas either blanched or defrosted, peeled and chopped which should help "not too many now just a little" but you need to find out the reason the fish got it in the first place, so a few questions if you don't mind. How big is your tank and how many fish do you have in it, also do you use a filter, do you test your water at all for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and how often do you do part water changes, also do you use a water conditioner.
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 13/3/2004 12:39
Re: Goldfish upside down #3
The goldfish is a lot better we gave it some swimbladder treatment and he is so much better. Now answers to your questions. Size of out tank is about 12" by 8" and we only have the one fish who is about 6 yeras old. Yes we have a water fliter no we dont test the water how do you do that. We water change it every few weeks I know we should do it more often. And no we dont use a water conditioner.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 14/3/2004 14:36
Re: Goldfish upside down #4
Hi louiseongly, Glad to hear your fish is much better, 6 years old you have done well considering your tank is so tiny for a goldfish, how many gallons is it, to test your water there are many different kits available but I find Tetra 5in1 test strips easy to use, they have 20 strips for around about £10.99 depending where you buy them and come with instructions, that is in the uk I don't know if you can get them elsewhere if you are not from the uk.
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 15/3/2004 16:22
Re: Goldfish upside down #5
Hi again, the no of gallons is 2.5, would you say I would need a bigger fish tank? Thanks about the test strips I will see if I can get some, yes I am from the uk.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 16/3/2004 0:33
Re: Goldfish upside down #6
Hi louise They recommend 8 uk gallons per goldfish to allow for growth etc and because they are very messy fish the bigger the tank the easier it is to keep healthy as long as you do not overstock, when you do a water change do you only part change or change it all, as a tank has to go through a cycle and if you change it all it has to start again which is not good for the fish, do you know anything about or how to cycle a tank? I would recommend getting some aquasafe water conditioner to protect your fish from the harmful chlorine etc that is in our drinking water your fish will thank you for it .

Here is a photo of my new tank because the fish out grew my 4ft tank I have added a few new additions since

Resized Image
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 17/3/2004 14:26
Re: Goldfish upside down #7
Thanks for all your help, I think I may get a new fish tank soon and your fish tank is so huge to mine looks nice and your fish do too. We change all of the water so from now on with the advice you gave we will be part water change. also no I do not know how to recycle my tank how do you mean?
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 17/3/2004 16:08
Re: Goldfish upside down #8
Hi again louiseonley The cycle of a tank is basicly when You set up your fish tank and put the fish in it and filter, the filter has to build up good bacteria to break down the fish poo etc so that it is safe for your fish, but to start with it goes through a cycle of ammonia, then nitrite and then nitrate, now ammonia is poison to fish and nitrite, nitrate is fertalizer to plants so not so bad unless it gets too high, so each time you completley change the water it has to go through a new cycle all over again which is not good for your fish. here is a link to help you see what its all about. http://www.totallyfish.com/tips/newtank.html