nugget nugget
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/6/2004 18:37
Think my black fan tail may be dying ! #1
Hi guys

Its my first post so sorry if Im being melodramatic.

We have a BIO-ORB and have had two goldfish in for a while with no issues, a few weeks back we introduced a black fantail also.

He recently started to get lethargic and hanging around on the bootom of the tank, we noticed today that all his rear fins are badly frayed and hes hardly moving. I've removed him from the tank and am keeping him seperately. The wife and I are really worried he's on his way out.

Any ideas what might be causing it, the other two fish are fine...
marcshedden marcshedden
  • From Avon
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/6/2004 21:38
Re: Think my black fan tail may be dying ! #2
Hi,
I'm sure Goldy will reply to this with better detail then I can, being the resident Coldwater expert, but on first impressions I'd say the Golfish are attacking the Fantail (is it actually a Fantail or a Black Moor?). It's not a good idea to mix normal-shaped Golfish with Fancy Golfish (those with rounded bodies and unusually-shaped tails i.e. Fantails, Moors, Orandas etc.) because the Goldfish tend to attack the Fancies, who cannot swim away to safety due to their inefficient "waddling" swimming style.
The ragged appearance of the fins can be rectified using an antibacterial remedy such as "Melafix", but the fish must be kept away from the source of the problem i.e. the Goldfish.

Good luck!

Marc
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/6/2004 0:28
Re: Think my black fan tail may be dying ! #3
Hi there and welcome Can I just ask how long the biorb has been set up for and do you test the water at all if so what are your readings, was it cycled before you put the fancy fish in and do you use the water conditioner that came with the biorb as fancies are very delicate to water conditions so if the biorb is still cycling and you have 3 fish in it you will have problems. Also biorbs are not very big for goldfish and if there are any bullies the other fish will not have enough space to escape or hide. As marc asked is it a fantail you have or black moor, you could give the melafix a try or you could use aquarium salt and let us know how you go on.
Just incase you don't know about the nitrogen cycle here is a link:
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/bcycling.htm
nugget nugget
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/6/2004 20:59
Re: Think my black fan tail may be dying ! #4
Hi guys, thanks for you replies.
Unfortunately, our fish died overnight

To be honest I'm not sure if it was a fantail or not, Goldy, basically it was pretty much the same as the one in your avatar just black.

I did check with the local aquatic centre where i bought it if it would be suitable, seems I may have been badly advised.

Thanks for the advice on cycling the tank though. I have been following the biorb instructions, using the treatments provided. Its been set up for a little over two months and we've replaced the filter twice doing a water change of a 3rd of the water each time. I've been using a tetratest 5 in 1 kit to test the water, and have done an additional 3rd part water change when the nitrate content got a little high (this was after we went on holiday for two weeks, using one of those holiday food stones, when we returned the tank was filthy and had a lot of algae.)

We'd really like a third fish if possible, and would like it to be black, are there any suitable out there?

Thanks for your help.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 18/6/2004 0:54
Re: Think my black fan tail may be dying ! #5
Sorry to hear your fish didn't make it you don't come across black fantails very often so if it didn't have telescope eyes then it wasn't a black moor the fish in my avatar is a rykin which is similar to a fantail except it has a more of a humpback, if the 2 fish you already have are regular goldfish (I dont like calling them common ) then I wouldn't get another fancy in your biorb and the only black fish really are black moors, you are better keeping fancies together and regular and shubunkins together because as as they get older the regular goldfish can mistake the round bodys of the fancies for females full of eggs and harass them to mate which the fancies cannot cope with, I learned this by experience and had to take my rykin and veiltail out of the main tank and put them on their own in my 4ft tank, I know you would like another fish but 2 in the biorb is plenty as they grow very quickly and you will find you will need a larger tank sooner than you realise, they recommend at least 8 gallons per fish to allow for growth, its an old wives tail that fish will only grow the size of their tank and thats when you will have trouble keeping the water clean and healthy. Good luck