• Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/6/2004 19:53
Lilies growing speed #1
Hi all

How fast do lilies grow?

Neighbour gave me one a 2 weeks ago and i cut it down as it was well over grown and repotted it in pond compost etc etc and at the time it had about 3 leaves on it. Two weeks later it has fourteen leaves which have reached the top and noticed today that there are flower buds coming as well.

Is this normal?

One that i bought from Stapely Garden Centre had two leaves on it and now is only just producing a third.

Chopper

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...
seanmckinney seanmckinney
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 16/6/2004 20:36
Re: Lilies growing speed #2
Growth rate varies greatly from species to species and with conditions. There doesnt appear to be any set rules.
stevied stevied
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 17/6/2004 0:51
Re: Lilies growing speed #3
Hi Chopper
I have posted a reply on your other thread ( which you have probably read by now )
re your lily it is doing great if you have got that much growth in such a short time it is a good indication of how your pond is doing, anyway leave well alone the only thing I would say if the flowers or the leaves start to die of pull them off, I don't mean lift the whole plant I just mean pull it up with a small amount of force to get them to break of quite low to the base of the plant.
Also at the end of the growing season lift the plant cut any remaining leaves or flowers of and drop in the deepest part of the pond.
Also don't do what I did and split the plant up as you get smaller leaves the following year, best to just cut the rotten part of and re pot in the spring. This is my experience perhaps somebody will have other or better advice ?

STEVE
seanmckinney seanmckinney
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 17/6/2004 9:56
Re: Lilies growing speed #4
By "drop in the deepest " Steve does of course mean, place in the deepest.