Note 1: +Amm is where I added ammonia, which I have not had to do since day 6.
Note 2: Day 1 was the start of the proper fishless cycle, I had added the Nutrafin Cycle potion to the tank before that, I can only assume it was that potion that is responsible for the weirdness that seemed to end on day 6.
[Edit: a bit of reformatting requires there]
Questions for the experts:
1) Where does the Benefical Bacteria come from? How does it spontaneously start to appear in the filter?
2) Should I get rid of the snails that interloped into my tank on the plants (there must be about 5+ of them)?
I used (chlorinated) tap water to fill my tank (which I dechlorinated).
I understand that adding non-dechorinated water to top up the tank kills the benifical bacteria, therefore surely the tap water has no benefical Bacteria in it because there is chlorine in it.
Hammersuk, as I understand it you do not control the Nitrite in the water the bacteria does, just foucus on keeping the ammoina level up, cos if you don't feed the ammonia eating bacteria, they'll die.. keep the amonia levels topped up - evenually the NitrIte will drop, when you can add 2pmm ammonia and 24 hrs later the ammonia and nitrItes lvls are at zero you filter is cycled and you can keep fish (after you do a few water changes to bring the NitraAtes down to less than 20 ppm).
I have a question regarding fish free cycling. I bought some Kleen Off Ammonia today, and added enough so my tank had 5ppm. I'm just a little confused with the next step, do i keep adding the same amount daily? Or just i keep topping it up to 5? or let it fall? All the different guides I've read don't really explain it, and people on these forums seem to do different things. Thanks.
Day 12 of cycle n levels looking good. Ammonia .25, nitrites .25 and nitrate 5ppm (think the plants ive got are keeping that down.
Ive topped up 2ppm of ammonia so we'll see how we look tommorow. Only thing worerying me is a ph of 7.6. I need a shoal of neons but little worried bout the ph being too high? ANy suggestions? Should i try and bring this down and how? Otherwise looks like i got some bacteria growth! Hhoooray!