« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)
hammersuk hammersuk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/9/2007 22:10
Re: Help with Fishfree Cycling please #81
Hey looks good nik! Those plants look nice! Its good going through the cycle cos you'll get a real sense of acheivement and we know its kinda to fishys!

I got some algae growin too i think. Looks like a weird dust on the filter and a bit of the plants!

Love to stick a couple of ammanos in for a much but don't think theyll like the ammonia levels yet!
NikNak NikNak
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 17/9/2007 22:24
Re: Help with Fishfree Cycling please #82
Here are my figures:

Note 1: +Amm is where I added ammonia, which I have not had to do since day 6.

Note 2: Day 1 was the start of the proper fishless cycle, I had added the Nutrafin Cycle potion to the tank before that, I can only assume it was that potion that is responsible for the weirdness that seemed to end on day 6.

[Edit: a bit of reformatting requires there]

Questions for the experts:

1) Where does the Benefical Bacteria come from? How does it spontaneously start to appear in the filter?

2) Should I get rid of the snails that interloped into my tank on the plants (there must be about 5+ of them)?

Attach file:

jpg  (13.91 KB)
4958_46eef23b4ecc2.jpg 323X221 px
Nik
lyndsey1111 lyndsey1111
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 18/9/2007 17:25
Re: Help with Fishfree Cycling please #83
Hey, the tank looks great! Im no expert, but looks really impressive to me!
You may think you know everything there is to know, but there is always more to learn!
hammersuk hammersuk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 18/9/2007 18:40
Re: Help with Fishfree Cycling please #84
Woooh water action! Yesterday ammonia 2ppm, nitrite 3ppm, nitrate 10ppm

Tonight ammonia .50 ppm, nitrite, 3ppm and nitrate slightly above 10 ppm, (the chemical test tube tests are quite hard to get exact when they fall in between colours arent they!)

Think that means i need to top up ammonia by maybe 1 ppm and see what happens! Exciting hehe

Also my nitrite test only goes up to 5ppm so when i get to that mark should i just leave it and wait for it to drop to zero?
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 18/9/2007 18:45
Re: Help with Fishfree Cycling please #85
Hey NikNak,

The beneficial bacteria is present in the water already but only in tiny amounts, that's why you have to cycle the tank so the bacteria have time to multiply.

You don't have to get rid of the snails, all my tanks have got snails in (that I didn't put there) and as long as you take care not to overfeed then they won't become a problem.
NikNak NikNak
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 19/9/2007 0:25
Re: Help with Fishfree Cycling please #86
Thanks Caz,

But I don't understand:

I used (chlorinated) tap water to fill my tank (which I dechlorinated).

I understand that adding non-dechorinated water to top up the tank kills the benifical bacteria, therefore surely the tap water has no benefical Bacteria in it because there is chlorine in it.

Hammersuk, as I understand it you do not control the Nitrite in the water the bacteria does, just foucus on keeping the ammoina level up, cos if you don't feed the ammonia eating bacteria, they'll die.. keep the amonia levels topped up - evenually the NitrIte will drop, when you can add 2pmm ammonia and 24 hrs later the ammonia and nitrItes lvls are at zero you filter is cycled and you can keep fish (after you do a few water changes to bring the NitraAtes down to less than 20 ppm).

Exprts pls correct me if I am wrong.
Nik
NikNak NikNak
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 19/9/2007 0:40
Re: Help with Fishfree Cycling please #87
Plan B (cheating)...

I have ordered another set of fliters, I propose to get them put into an existing biological filtraion system to get them populated with the bacteria.

Q. how long do I need to leave them there do they get populated properly? (FLUVAL 2plus foam pads times 2)?
Nik
RoboticDisco RoboticDisco
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From County Durham
  • Posted on: 19/9/2007 19:23
Re: Help with Fishfree Cycling please #88
I have a question regarding fish free cycling. I bought some Kleen Off Ammonia today, and added enough so my tank had 5ppm. I'm just a little confused with the next step, do i keep adding the same amount daily? Or just i keep topping it up to 5? or let it fall? All the different guides I've read don't really explain it, and people on these forums seem to do different things.
Thanks.
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 19/9/2007 20:38
Re: Help with Fishfree Cycling please #89
Keep testing on a daily basis. Let it fall to under 2ppm. Then top it up to 2ppm. More that 5ppm can hinder the development of the bacteria.
T.L
Resized Image
hammersuk hammersuk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 20/9/2007 21:41
Re: Help with Fishfree Cycling please #90
Day 12 of cycle n levels looking good. Ammonia .25, nitrites .25 and nitrate 5ppm (think the plants ive got are keeping that down.

Ive topped up 2ppm of ammonia so we'll see how we look tommorow. Only thing worerying me is a ph of 7.6. I need a shoal of neons but little worried bout the ph being too high? ANy suggestions? Should i try and bring this down and how? Otherwise looks like i got some bacteria growth! Hhoooray!