Meatball Meatball
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Middlesex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 7/9/2007 9:28
Puffer fish feeding #1
I've read that puffers require two small feeds a day. What exactly is small? Two cockles, two cubes of bloodworm? Also, how often should they be fed snails on a weekly basis? When giving a puffer snails, should I only give food in the morning and substitute it's later meal for snails? Does anyone who keeps puffers have a food schedule I could look at? Thanks for any help.
Resized Image
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 7/9/2007 10:04
Re: Puffer fish feeding #2
Quote:

Meatball wrote:
I've read that puffers require two small feeds a day.

depends on the size of the puffer, younger puffs are better with a small feeding a couple of times a day, adult puffers can have a larger meal, and be fed every other day (this can variy from species too)

Quote:

Meatball wrote:
What exactly is small? Two cockles, two cubes of bloodworm?

bloodworm is no good. puffers need crunchy food, you can give him a couple of bloodworms as a treat if he is small but bloodworm is not what you should be feeding puffs.
i would recommend getting some frozen whole gamma shrimp(small shrimp, about 1cm long) if he is a small puff, my gsp is about 2 inches long, and i give him 3 gamma shrimp in one go, any more his belly gets too fat. and i try and give him about 3-4 snails a day, sometimes he only gets one or two, about the size of his eye.

Quote:

Meatball wrote:
Also, how often should they be fed snails on a weekly basis?

snails are good to keep beak worn down, so frequently.

Quote:

Meatball wrote:
When giving a puffer snails, should I only give food in the morning and substitute it's later meal for snails?

depends what you are feeding him for his first meal.

Quote:

Meatball wrote:
Does anyone who keeps puffers have a food schedule I could look at?

you are worrying too much! a schedule isnt necessary, just one or two small meals a day, and make sure the majority of it has a crunchy shell. if you put a few snails in, he will have to hunt for them.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 7/9/2007 16:40
Re: Puffer fish feeding #3
I was going to ask this question in a month or so, saves me the trouble. Thanks guys.