(1) 2 3 4 5 »
Meatball Meatball
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Middlesex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 27/8/2007 20:03
Fact! I'm getting a brackish tank #1
After dragging my parents into my local aquatic center I've finally convinced them to let me get a second tank. The tank I have my heart set on is a Fluval Roma 90 Liter. The tank includes a Fluval 2Plus filter. On the filter box it states:
"For tank size: 2' (60cm) and up to 90 Liter), 400lph"

I was reading through one of TetraLinz posts about her ammonia problem and found the following:

Quote:
At 400lph though it is what I'd consider bare minimum for that tank which could slow the cycle process down.

Quote:

Considering what Eagle said about the powerhead being the bare minimum for a 96ltr tank, I went on Ebay and bought a 600ltr powerhead (the description assures me that it's compatible with the filter). I know it's only the next one up from the bare minimum, but hopefully it'll help move things along, and it has to be better than going out, getting a brand new filter and starting the whole cycle yet again!!

Is 400lph the bare minimum recommended for a tank size of 90 liter? I would like good filtration in the aquarium for my GSP so I was thinking of asking them to throw in a 3Plus and I'll pay the difference. The 3Plus is rated at up to 130l 700lph. Thoughts? :)
peediepixie peediepixie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From Orkney
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 27/8/2007 20:05
Re: Fact! I'm getting a brackish tank #2
If you can afford the bigger filter I'd definitely go for that one Best to have a bit too much than a bit too little as far as filtration goes I reckon ANy thoughts on which fish you'd like in there?
Resized Image
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 27/8/2007 20:08
Re: Fact! I'm getting a brackish tank #3
Yeah, 400lph is adequate for a 90ltr tank - but only just. Mine is only 6ltrs bigger than yours, and I upgraded my filter pump to a 600lph.
T.L
Resized Image
Meatball Meatball
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 27/8/2007 20:11
Re: Fact! I'm getting a brackish tank #4
I would like to keep a single GSP in there, I love their inquisitive and playful nature!

I'll be purchasing the tank set-up on Thursday, buying the fish after I've completed my fishless cycling . I've been reading through your articles about fishless cycling and have one question. I've read about adding pure ammonia into the tank to kick start the bacterial growth, where can I purchase pure ammonia in the UK? I'm scared of buying ammonia only to find it's not suitable .

Quote:
Yeah, 400lph is adequate for a 90ltr tank - but only just. Mine is only 6ltrs bigger than yours, and I upgraded my filter pump to a 600lph.

I saw in your cycling thread, hope you get that sorted . I think I will go for the 3Plus, 700lph should provide good filtration .
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 27/8/2007 20:17
Re: Fact! I'm getting a brackish tank #5
Ahhh, beaten by my own post

You can get household ammonia from Homebase. 700lph filtration would be excellent for a 90 litre tank.

Thanks for the encouragement I will get the problem sorted - or die trying Shows how much I want to keep fish. 3 months and I haven't given up yet! That's a record for me
T.L
Resized Image
Meatball Meatball
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 27/8/2007 20:43
Re: Fact! I'm getting a brackish tank #6
That's good to hear . It does show true dedication.

Roughly how much am I looking at to buy ammonia? I'll buy some from Homebase and post a picture to make sure it's suitable .

Can't wait to get the tank, I'll make sure I post pictures of my progress .
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 27/8/2007 21:06
Re: Fact! I'm getting a brackish tank #7
I think it's about £2.

Good idea We like pics! I'll be posting my pics as soon as I get those fish.
T.L
Resized Image
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 27/8/2007 22:53
Re: Fact! I'm getting a brackish tank #8
Yup Household ammonia is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to cycle a tank... all things being equal.

I have a fluval 2plus in my 40L tank although its designed for 45-90 liters. My 100L tank has a fluval 3plus. Slight problem for me there is that the 100L tank is about 2ft x 18" x 12" and the fluval 3plus is about 10" high so its wedged solidly into the corner and a pain in the backside to remove for cleaning.
Good news is I can run both filteres on their low setting and only have to clean them every 2 months or so.
Meatball Meatball
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 30/8/2007 0:00
Re: Fact! I'm getting a brackish tank #9
I'm so excited about my tank tomorrow, the only thing I'm a little nervous about is getting the salt levels right using th e hydrometer. I've heard that refractometers are more accurate but with brackish the salt levels never need to be exact. Can anyone confirm this? . What does everyone else use? Hydrometer or Refractometer?

I'll make sure I post some pictures as soon as it's all going .
Meatball Meatball
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 7/9/2007 9:25
Re: Fact! I'm getting a brackish tank #10
I thought I'd update the thread to explain what's happening. I got taxed again on my wage slip even though I handed in my P45 the month before so I couldn't afford the tank in the end . I'm still going to buy the tank, I just need to wait till I can find the cash again . I'll keep the thread updated.
Resized Image