caggimedicine caggimedicine
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/9/2007 14:38
Yellow lab holding #1
Hi guys

Bit of advice needed here for a new cichlid keeper!

I noticed on 16th August that my yellow lab had a mouth full of eggs.... there's only her and one male in the tank. Anyway, i've just left her to it but was wondering what to do next.

Every day I have a look in her mouth (which is sometimes difficult as she's hiding around the rocks and plants most of the time) and i can now see little eyes looking out at me! Not sure if these are hatched babies or eyes looking out through the eggs!

She's lost a lot of weight and now is half the size of the father, who by the way is being very nasty towards her, chasing her away every time she plucks up the courage to come out from her hiding place. I've noticed her eating a small amount twice now since 16th, but that's it.

So - what I suppose i'm asking is.... what should I be doing now? Anything? Or just leave her to it.

Thanks
beeky beeky
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 3/9/2007 14:59
Re: Yellow lab holding #2
Can you remove the male? I don't know anything about the species concerned, but my instinct is if he's being aggresive then remove it. She's probably concerned that he'll eat the babies (I would be!!).
caggimedicine caggimedicine
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 3/9/2007 16:20
Re: Yellow lab holding #3
I have been considering removing her and putting her in the spare tank upstairs, which up until now has been used as a hospital tank. He seems to be fine with the other fish in the tank, although a little boisterous. I think maybe she needs a bit of peace and quiet away from all of the fish at the moment.... just not going to be easy catching her!
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 3/9/2007 19:44
Re: Yellow lab holding #4
if you can whip her out into the spare tank then when she releases them after week 3 or 4 then put her back in, the eggs hatch after about 3 days so it is the eyes, what she eats will be for the babies btw so its worth offering it every day, like one flake or so

the male is only chaseing her as he doesn't want none receotive females in his territory but adding another female or 2 will help as each species are best off in trios or more, help with the aggression

HTH
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
beeky beeky
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 4/9/2007 17:15
Re: Yellow lab holding #5
I'd be worried about her eating the eggs/fry when you catch her. Not talking from experience though, so it may be OK.
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 6/9/2007 20:09
Re: Yellow lab holding #6
she'll only eat them if you spend about half hour chaseing her, i'd be more worried leaveing her in and the rest of the fish eating all the young
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
inter-aqua inter-aqua
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Midlothian
  • Posted on: 12/9/2007 17:02
Re: Yellow lab holding #7
hiya

I think the idea of adding the extra female is the safest bet. If your going to move anyone, move the male...or better still use a divider. That way they still see each other and their tank-world doesn't get flipped upside down.

She will eat enough to keep herself going until she releases the fry & she'll make up for it after that.

Any food she eats will also help feed the fry as the smaller particles are vented through her gills.

Good Luck