nizztime nizztime
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Devon
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/8/2007 17:21
Re: Sky rocketing Nitrate. #11
i have been thinking about buying a Ratz Sulphur Denitrator
as my lfs is selling them for £25.does anyone have one of these or is there a better machanical nitrate filter?
Resized Image proper bo!!!
smarttony smarttony
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 13/8/2007 17:58
Re: Sky rocketing Nitrate. #12
why not try a sandbed fluidizer filter which help to colonise the bacteria 20 times more than the fish tank it self. it work for me as the nitrate were rarely anywhere near 5 mg.
Resized ImageResized ImageResized Image
Resized Image
superdart superdart
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 13/8/2007 18:58
Re: Sky rocketing Nitrate. #13
You are putting a load of Nitrate into your system evry time you feed frozen. So try rinseing the food under a running tap like I do to cleanse and de-frost the food,dont worry about chlorine as the amount that will be left on the food will be zilch.
Just as an experiment take a block of frozen and thaw it out in a 2 pint container and see what your Nitrate readings are then.....
Quote:
If it has fins and swims I am interested in it.
taziker taziker
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 13/8/2007 19:30
Re: Sky rocketing Nitrate. #14
what about if I bag the frozen blocks, let them defrost, drain the yuck, then feed them the left overs, is this a better idea?

I've planted a little bit of caulurpa into the tank to help in the future. even if it only helps a little bit

since my last water change, the nitrate is now around the 50-60 mark. still a long way to go. next water change will have to wait till thursday now as im busy at work. I'm hoping with cutting back the feeding a little, and turning off all powerheads until the food its totally consumed this will sort out the rocketing nitrate.

apart from the anemone split i've not noticed any problems with the corals in the tank, I've inspected all the fish and they are acting normal. Thing with the anemone is we've had it in almost since setting up the larger display tank. its been well fed, so its possible it was just a natural split.

either way, I wanna make sure the nitrate stays low from now on just to be on the safe side.

I've invested a lot of money in setting up this particual tank, and have become very very fond of all the fish that are in there. to lose one would be like having a death in the family.
TAz
Resized Image

You know you wanna click me!
nizztime nizztime
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 13/8/2007 20:45
Re: Sky rocketing Nitrate. #15
can you find me a sandbed fluidizer filter because all the ones i can find are massive.i want one to suit a 75 gallon tank.also if anyone wants a uv filter or v2 skimmer and various other systems then let me know because my lfs is having a half price sale.its all good stuff
smarttony smarttony
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 13/8/2007 22:15
Re: Sky rocketing Nitrate. #16
the one i had was rainbow lifeguard which i had for a 30 gallon tank and it only come in one size, i think that is the name and i got it from aquacadabra in bexleyheath,kent. they do send out and use the ebay. use ebay and type hydor koralia and click one of them until u see aquacadabra and email them for deatail and price. 4 year ago i paid £69 then so may be cheaper. they have a lot of bargain better than any other lfs.
Resized ImageResized ImageResized Image
Resized Image
Leggy Leggy
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 14/8/2007 3:29
Re: Sky rocketing Nitrate. #17
Have you tested your LFS nitrate in the RO ?? I did once ...had a sky high reading!!! after I complained they said that the membrane had prolly broken...hhmmm. Since then I have had my own 5 stage RO unit. Bought from Germany ..dirt cheap with 3 years supply of membranes/filter for £120 shipped. TDK reading of below 10!!
which is around 300% better then any other LFS reading I tested for 2 years.
If you have nitrates one very easy method of removing them...and extremely cheap..MANGROVES !!!!! as long as you have a sump or a open top tank ..mangroves are Fantastic...do a google/yahoo search on mangroves and nitrates - there has been some articles from marine gurus that have stated that they are just great in fact the best natural way to remove nitrates.
Just pop 1 rooted mangrove for every 5 gal and leave for a few days to settle ... your nitrate will decrease very rapidly.
Yes I do agree on washing your frozen foods to decontaminate them as I think 80-90% of frozen foods can cause illness to your fish and are high in phosphate/nitrate. BUT if you are direct feeding any corals - RINSE first with RO before re-freezing, otherwise in the long run your corals may suffer and die...the heaving metals in tap water will get em one day.
Non of my tanks apart from my fresh tropical/coldwater have any filters medias - I use the canisters in increase the water volume but only contents is LR inside...works wonders.
Clean ALL your pipework every 6 months to help with dissolved oxygens and that will prevent slime algea and nitrate build up.
OK should stop..you all prolly fell asleep by now reading lol.
Leggy Leggy
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 14/8/2007 3:34
Re: Sky rocketing Nitrate. #18
One last thing - if you do wanna try the mangroves ... dont buy from the normal websites as they can be up to £14 each....eewwwww.
If you can get rooted and ones with leaves - brill saves you time and they will start drinking your nitrates as soon as they hit your water. If you got the pods - the large long seeds - it can take several weeks to 4 months to root but worth the savings.
I just bought 150 pods from Hawaii cost me around 40p a pod rather then £14 each ... not bad saving...but as it was a bulk lot what to do with sooo many lol.
Leggy Leggy
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 14/8/2007 5:08
Re: Sky rocketing Nitrate. #19
Oh - two things .... I ment TDS reading not TDK and Mangroves other source of food....phosphates
nizztime nizztime
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 14/8/2007 17:03
Re: Sky rocketing Nitrate. #20
would it be ok to buy some miracalmud to plant the mangroves in? i dont know alot about using mud and eco stuff,i have a 4 chamber sump at the moment the 1st has my skimmer in,2nd has carbon sheets,media balls and filter wool,the 3rd has the same as the 2nd and the 4th just has my return pump,could i move the stuff out of the 3rd and use mangroves ect(if this makes sense?)