lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/6/2004 9:32
Split Fin #1
Hello All

Just noticed last night that James Bubblehead has a split in his dorsal fin, near the lower end. I'm not sure how he has done it. I don't think he has been fighting, but he and the other Oranda - Egg fish are very clumsy and try to swim under/through the ornaments and 1 fake plant i have but are too big to fit most of the time.

He seems happy and all his fins are nice and stretched out, just wondered if it will heal/grow back together?
Resized Image
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 10/6/2004 16:04
Re: Split Fin #2
They do that sometimes Linsay and it should heal on its own as long as there are no signs of anything else then I wouldn't worry, did you use any interpets liquilsil in your tank at all as that is good for preventing any infection or even aquarium salt.
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 10/6/2004 18:45
Re: Split Fin #3
He seems fine, think he might have done it on the fake plastic plant
I might add a little aquarium salt or the tea tree treatment i have - to prevent any infection as I don't have liquisil
Resized Image
Anonymous  
Re: Split Fin #4
just what i was gonna say, you dont want an infection do you Lindsay? a little melafix for a few days, should do the trick and ward of any other nasty bugs thinking of putting in an appearance, what do these fish get up to, when we are not looking, eh. ?
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 11/6/2004 9:23
Re: Split Fin #5
He seems normal as ever today - 1st one to the food
Will add some aquarium salt later, as i think it seems to be the best treatment i have used.
I don't have Melafix, but i do have Aquarian first aid which sounds the same - it's basically Tea Tree oil
My mum does aromatherapy and rates tea tree very highly
Resized Image
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 13/6/2004 15:36
Re: Split Fin #6
Just an update... i can't believe it but James bubbleheads fin has healed i think, it's definatley not easy to see the split anymore as it was when i noticed it. I only added a little Supa Aquarium salt to prevent infection

Didn't think it would heal over a course of a few days, but glad it is better now
Resized Image
Anonymous  
Re: Split Fin #7
thats lovely news lindsay, im very pleased.

I may get some of that as a tonic for my freshwater tropicals, would it be suitable as a ph buffer, what does it say on the packaging, would you mind having a look.
di
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 14/6/2004 17:33
Re: Split Fin #8
I'm afraid it doesn't say anything about pH buffering it only says about keeping Brineshrimp eggs in it it has pictures of tropicals on the box!

The best thing about the Supa Aquarium salt, apart from it being quite a natural medicine is that for a big box it is 99p from a local pet shop
Resized Image