jeffrey jeffrey
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From West Sussex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/7/2007 22:10
fireworm #1
I have already asked about the creature that has appeared from my live rock and would like to know if it could be a fireworm. It is light grey,2-3"long and looks like a centipede??
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 29/7/2007 0:36
Re: fireworm #2
yes it is most likely a fireworm or bristleworm. to be properly identified it would need to be examined by someone knowledgable. there are quite a few species from the various reef locations, and not a lot is known about them yet. incase you havent already been warned, dont touch them... they arent called fireworms for nothing..! but they are helpful scavengers so no need to remove him.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
jeffrey jeffrey
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From West Sussex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 29/7/2007 10:58
Re: fireworm #3
Hi Caroline,
Thank-you for your information.I have just been on the internet looking for species of marine worms and found a picture of what ours looks like and it says its a Hawiian orange fireworm. It also states that it is a debris eater and good for the aquarium.(I hope). You can't touch this one either as it hurts!!!