Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/7/2007 10:09
Pump keeps getting blocked. #1
I have an L shaped pond, with a Hozelock pump at the top powering the waterfall and another at the bottom powering the filter. The pump at the top rests against 2 sides and the floor and its sucking up all the algae which is getting trapped in the cage and reducing the water flow. I clean it out, and it works fine, but then it soon clogs up again.

I dont want to moved the pump to the centre as the pipe isnt long enough, so it would mean replacing it and it just looks silly having the pipe trailing into the middle.

I was thinking about building something like a box without a roof, so the pump would only draw water in from above. Can anyone think of anything I could use to do this, or any other ideas?

Cheers,
Dale.
mikedriscoll mikedriscoll
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 23/7/2007 12:02
Re: Pump keeps getting blocked. #2
Why not get a a pond planter and turn it upside down on the pond floor and place the pump on this raising it off the pond floor?

Is it blanket weed you are having probs with?

Do you have any other plants in the pond?
Mike Driscoll

Dont knock on Deaths door!
Ring the bell and run away!
Death hates that!
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 23/7/2007 13:48
Re: Pump keeps getting blocked. #3
I thought about raising it off the floor, but I thought it would still draw in dirt off the sides - am I correct?

It seems to be like a really thick algae, sort of stringy. I dont think its blanket weed because thats a light greeny colour isnt it?

I have a lot of plant coverage in the pond, but they are a good distance away from this pump, and my other pump which is right in amongst the plants never clogs up.

I recently added 3 grass carp as I thought they would help with the problem, but they seem to only eat floating plants. Maybe a few weather loaches would do the trick?
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 23/7/2007 19:15
Re: Pump keeps getting blocked. #4
weather loaches dont eat algae so wouldn't help

if you can block access to all the plants for a couple of weeks and avoid feeding the fish then the grass carp should start eating the blanket weed

if you get a large planting basket and place the pump inside it then it'll get blocked up instead so the pump ill stay clearer for longer, or you could make a complete surround for the pump then that would be better as the pump shouldn't clog at all, but that involves feeding the pipe through a tight fitting hole in the middle of one basket and then tieing the 2 baskets together with the plastic ties with the pump inside. water and bits of dirt will go through but the big clogging bits will just get stuck outside

if you can, rent a pond vac for a day and vac the bottom, it can only help really

HTH
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
mikedriscoll mikedriscoll
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 23/7/2007 21:11
Re: Pump keeps getting blocked. #5
Sounds like blanket weed to me. You can either try shading the pond from all the glorious sunshine we have been having lately or try one of the chemical remedies.
Cant really recommend one as what works for me probably wont work you and what works this wont next year.
Mike Driscoll

Dont knock on Deaths door!
Ring the bell and run away!
Death hates that!
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 24/7/2007 9:49
Re: Pump keeps getting blocked. #6
I have a Pond Vac and i've sucked it up many times but it builds up again within a day or so. Good job you warned me about the loaches I was just about to go and buy some! ( Fat chance anyway theres no breeders this year :( )

I understand what your saying, make a solid box around the pump with only a pipe sticking out for water to travel down?

Thanks for the advice, i'll try it - its just finding the right sized things to use.
bromster bromster
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 28/7/2007 15:50
Re: Pump keeps getting blocked. #7
Ive had the same problem in my pond. The best thing to do is to put the pump on a brick and put the brick in some type of roofless box like you suggest. This is the best combination as you only get small collection of sluge at the bottom of the box and as you have raised the pump slightly it should not get clog up that quickly. When it does lift the box out and clean it and the pump filter.

My pond at the moment needs a good clean. If I dont use this method I have to unblock the filter about once a day. Thats a problem to me and often I have to switch the pump off at night. Using the box / brick idea the pump will last about 5 days before it needs a clean. Hope this helps.
I will add this to my website http://www.gardenfishpond.co.uk