Bottom



BreadBoy BreadBoy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 7/4/2007 21:18
Re: Tank Cycling - no bacterial bloom? #1
No it's all tufa rock - the only live rock I have is what the seaweed is on.

Although, the tufa rock is looking nice now with some algae growth on.


BreadBoy BreadBoy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 7/4/2007 20:26
Re: Tank Cycling - no bacterial bloom? #2
Adam - are you joking? It's tufa rock bought from the shop!!

flameangel - too late! I have a Red Sea Prizm Deluxe coming soon. Got it half rpice. The old skimmers are apparently noisy, but their newer ones have an 18 blade impeller as opposed to the 12 blade one, and are quieter than they used to be. If it's too noisy though I'll change it as it's in the lounge.


BreadBoy BreadBoy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 6/4/2007 21:21
Re: What is Live Rock? #3
Thaks for that.

I had 2 pulsing xenias and a mushroom rock which were doing really well until my ammonia spike.

Once the tank has settled down I might try some more of those, and maybe a cabbage coral, those three (apparently) being the easiest to look after. With the better lighting and now the RO water unlike before, hopefully it will make the tank a nicer place!

All were on live rock and did really well.


BreadBoy BreadBoy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 5/4/2007 17:00
Re: What is Live Rock? #4
Thanks Coralline

I'll leave it alone then - I can do without any more problems. My tank has settled down nicely now, as it was before my ammonia spike. I'm not going through that again.

I'll stick to buying some nice mushrooms and polyps on live rock in a couple of months, so as not to overload it.

The tufa rock has some algae growth - not a lot yet, but it's looking quite nice, and being light in colour makes the tank brighter too.

For anyone else interested, I found this site with reasonably priced live rock, which I'll now not be using!

http://www.1st4aquatics.com/index.asp - 5kg Fiji cured live rock - £49.99 delivered.

Just as a quickie question without going off topic too much in here for too long, I have 2 x T8 bulbs in the hood - 1 marine white and 1 marine actinic blue. I'm thinking of getting a luminaire with 4 x T5 bulbs. This would, I assume, be better for keeping the polyps?


BreadBoy BreadBoy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 4/4/2007 20:58
Re: What is Live Rock? #5
I have a question which is probably best suited in this thread......

I have a fluval 305 filter running my 200 litre tank. The tank is 10 weeks old.

I want to get some live rock in the tank, but have read (in this thread mainly) that it isn't good to have a bio filter and live rock.

I have a fish only tank, but would like some live rock (20kgs or so) to bring some more life to the tank, and it looks nicer than the tufa rock I have currently.

Would it be better to replace the bio balls in my filter with small pieces of live rock, to act as the filter media?

I assume it is safe to leave the foam pads in the filter if I were to do this?

Also, would it cause problems if I were to add this much live rock at once, or should I do it more gradually, and if so at what rate?

Hope that made sense!

Cheers,

BB


BreadBoy BreadBoy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 4/4/2007 16:12
Re: Potential serious problem - advice appreciated. #6
Thanks Karen - The deluxe version is the one I went for as it has the surface attachment, which is where most of the proteins and stuff are.

My mate got me one and one for himself, half price which is nice!

Put the oodinex in so it's all green now! But the parameters are very good now and all seems to be well, thankfully.

Cheers


BreadBoy BreadBoy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 4/4/2007 14:55
Esha Oodinex #7
Hi,

I am treating my Regal Tang for white spot - I have removed the active carbon from my filter today, but where should I keep it whilst the treatment is being done?

Does it need to be kept in water or can I leave it in a container to dry out, before adding it again once the oodinex treatment is complete in three days?

Cheers,

BB


BreadBoy BreadBoy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 4/4/2007 9:18
Re: Potential serious problem - advice appreciated. #8
Little update for you all.

My tank has sorted itself out now. Ammonia is back to zero, Nitrite is 0.5, and should be zero within a couple of days. Nitrates are 30 and should also come down soon.

All fish looking fine now - regal tang has a bit of white spot, which I'm treating today.

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated.

I'm aiming to have a 450 litre tank by the end of the year, which is more than double the size of mine, with a nice 4 tube T5 luminaire over the top.

Thanks again for the help,

BB


BreadBoy BreadBoy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 1/4/2007 14:36
Re: Potential serious problem - advice appreciated. #9
I think things are settling down.

My guy at the fish shop has advised me that, after the 55% water change (to RO water) I should now leave it alone to settle down.

The ammonia readings I'm getting are highly likely to be false due to the ammo lock. Nitrites are at 0.5, which has risen slightly, and nitrates are 20.

He has 37 years of marine experience, so I am happy to trust his advice.

The fish look much happier today, so hopefully it will settle down.


BreadBoy BreadBoy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 30/3/2007 19:59
Re: Potential serious problem - advice appreciated. #10
I've tested the ammonia with two different test kits every day for a week. I doubt their results will be any different to mine!

You could argue that all fish, in their own way, are not suitable for a new set up - you have to start somewhere, and I took what advice I could, but for the most part, as long as you ensure compatibility, it's just as much about learning yourself - everyone says different things, and if you took all the advice ever given to you, you would never get anywhere.

I am aware I could have stocked a little too quickly - but that isn't what caused my ammonia spike. Something hapenned in my tank, which I'm still not sure of, and the ammonia went through the roof overnight - before that my levels were perfect, with no cause for alarm. All the other readings are still spot on even now.

The fish were bought from various sources, and have been fine up to now.

You say the prizm isn't a decent skimmer - many would dissagree with you - again, everyone has different opinions/experiences - that's the one I've ordered, and I'll give it a go and judge it myself - many people have said to me (not shop people either) that it's an excellent choice.

I wish I knew what went wrong - but I don't, so I can't say why it happenned.

In any case, it will give me the chance to evaluate the situation, and give me the knowledge and experience to improve things and avoid it happening again (if I ever do work out what went wrong).

I appreciate your advice - don't get me wrong, but nobody seems to know the root cause of why the ammonia went through the ceiling overnight - if it was the stocking levels, it wouldn't have been that sudden. If it was due to not having a skimmer/live rock, it wouldn't have been that sudden.



(1) 2 3 »