Forum Index


Board index » All Posts (Swimmer2)

BottomBottom



Swimmer2 Swimmer2
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 22/1 17:49
Re: Green Microscopic Algae Problem #1
Thanks for all the posts. I followed the link and my algae eater specimen doesn't look like the one shown, which appears to have markings. My algae eater is without markings and is an orange colour. A little more poking around on the internet suggests it could be a Gold (or Golden) Algae Eater (Gyrinocheilos aymonieri).

I do have a test kit and the results show pH 7.4; nitrate 0 ppm; nitrite 0 ppm; ammonia 0 ppm.

I can certainly step up the frequency and % of water replaced.


Swimmer2 Swimmer2
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 18/1 17:00
Re: Green Microscopic Algae Problem #2
Just looked at some images online and the closest resemblance is a Golden Chinese Algae Eater.


Swimmer2 Swimmer2
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 18/1 16:55
Re: Green Microscopic Algae Problem #3
Thanks for your post and comments. I didn't realize that Clown Loaches needed a lot of space so I'll find another species if I re-stock.

I've four Danios and four Neon Tetras. Sorry but I'm not sure what species the Algae Eater is. The fish is about 10-12 cm long and a very distinctive orange colour. The fish is quite active and is happy to move around the tank at most times of the day. That's all the information that I can give you, unfortunately.

Water changes happen every two weeks and I take out about 5L of the total 60L (With ornaments etc. the water volume is probably about 55L) so it's about a 9 or 10% changeover.

The lights are on for about 8 hours a day. The tank is in the proximity of a window but it's north-facing so the tank does not catch much direct sunlight.


Swimmer2 Swimmer2
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 15/1 18:57
Green Microscopic Algae Problem #4
I have a problem with the water in my tank turning green with floating microscopic algae. I've tested the water and the phosphate level is low. I have a good working filter and live plants.

Reaching for my pot of algae control liquid, I see that it says it shouldn't be used where there are live plants. I can reduce the feed levels and maybe increase the frequency of water changes but are there any other ways of ridding the tank of its green water?

It's a 60L tank with a humble community of Leopard Danios, Neon Tetras and an algae eater. I've recently had the sad demise of two good-sized (10cm) Clown Loaches, both within a week of each other. They were about 6 years old.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.



TopTop