The survivors are looking good indeed. All swimming around, nobody on their back.
However, now I've discovered another problem. They are only feeding on bloodworm, they wont touch any other food.
I have purchased specific sturgeon sinking food from the dealer, the same food he uses infact, and they wont touch it! Any food I drop in that isnt live blood worm I have to scoop back out as they wont touch it.
Any feeding tips would be splendid. Also, in future while im upping my numbers, what would you suggest I do differently?
So far Ive got:
-Bring ammolock with me to dealers -Fill water from dealers -Tonnes of air stones, roughly any idea how big of an air pump I need to transport say 50 5" sturgeon? 2 hour journey as I mentioned before from the dealers. -Slow acclimation when I get back to my house.
As far as I understand, apart from that, I've done everything as I should?
And thanks for the concern Khan, but the money isn't really a worry. As long as I learn from the experience, I consider it well spent.
API master test kit 1m x 1.1m x 1.8m x 2 The filters are mature. 2 days prior to the arrival of the fish, and yes it was dechlorinated. 2 hour journey back from the dealers. By assorted sturgeon I mean Acipenser ruthenus (albino and regular), Acipenser baerii and Acipenser Gueldenstaedtii.
Haha I don't see whats funny about that? I am currently building the lake, have another 18000L pond which will soon be mature and ready for the survivors.
I want to learn about them, I've always thought they were remarkable creatures. End goal is to own a beluga!
The story: Two days ago, I picked up 100 assorted sturgeon, no bigger than 10" each, most around 5".
I picked them up in a van, with a small pond setup in the back. Aerated by a 45L/ph airpump.
When I arrived home, the pond in the van was at 10 degrees, the ponds they were going to be quarantined in were at 12.
I transferred these sturgeon into their new tanks, the water used for transportation was the same water from the ponds.
The sturgeon seemed hungry at the dealer's location as there were many that were swimming at the top of the water with their noses pointing out. The rest were very very docile and not moving very much, and a few swimming around the tank.
When I moved the fish from the van to the pond, a few of them twirled a little. Later, a few of the fish started staying at the top of the water, then they started tilting on their side with their fin sticking out the water. Shortly after, I started to find them upside down at the bottom of the ponds.
Initially the ones at the bottom would randomly swim to the top of the water, then sink back down.
Of the 100, 64 have perished on the first night. Another 3 today.
Information: water parameters are fine, the ponds were gradually fully replenished with fresh water a few days prior. pH 7.5 Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10ppm temp 12C 5000L per hour filtration 45L/H air pump with 6 large air stones
Gills, some of the others have redish hues to their gills.
Blood coming from some of the fish along with waste.
Blood red fins on the underside.
Floats at top, gills and mouth moving.
PS: also added a few drops of pimafix and melafix when I started to see them dropping, and I am currently buying what I need to salt bath them, and will give that a shot later today if anyone suggests it.
Thanks for reading, Hope I can learn a lot from this experience, as I've never had a disaster of this proportion with any other fish or livestock I have handled, and quite frankly I'm devastated.