It sounds like you somehow crashed the bacteria colony. Best bet is to find some established filter media to kick start again. Or i have found thr probidio product (biodigest + biotrace) are very useful for jump start.
Suggestion on mid-dweller softwater fish that can tolerate "decent" flow?
Hi all, it's been a while
So finally i've set up my 170x50x60 tank with fast moving - blackwater style.
The tank has a huge piece of wood and thick sand bottom with plants mainly attached to the wood. Flow rate is something like 2500-3000l/hr
The tank is meant for some pleco but Im not adding any pleco yet until the tank and vegetation mature.
So far Im having 10 bronze cory and Im planning to get some more kind of cory. However, the mid level of the tank is really empty now and Im not sure neon or rummy nose can tolerate this kind of flow....
The parameter is: Temp 27C gH and kH is 1-3degree (Pretty soft water)
Any suggestion is welcome! I don't like something too big though
People are right, your tank is too small. Those fish grow really fast and can grow really big (You don't see those giantic fish often because most of the time they don't receive proper care and die before growing to full potential size)
For all goldfish type, they need to have food almost constantly. So feeding little is not proper care to be honest. They only seem fine because they are hungry and go crazily active when they see you as potentially they will have food.
Really sorry to hear the losses of your fish and the spending on the chemicals.
I may be a bit wordy but I hope this will help you understand the basic around using chemicals and fish health.
1. Health Like human and any other animals - Fish immune system can be very strong and fight off many sickness/bacteria on its own - The only thing that does the immune system cannot fight off is mostly parasites (Though sometimes they can mitigate them by promoting slime coat). Or some really serious virus/infection.
So how to promote immune system? Just like human, they need: - Good nutrient - Clean and healthy environment (Basically proper filtration and established beneficial bacteria colony in the pond ecosystem) - Stress-free!!!!!
Moving, catching the fish cause seriously stress unless you did it professionally and swiftly. And this kind of stress is a big culprit that actually kill many fish! Even for big fish like koi!! (I have some experience in rearing and selling koi and transporting is a big issue).
2. Chemicals / Medicine Manganate bath is pretty popular and it's so far seem to be effective in treating parasite (And probably the cheapest method). However, giving them bath in smaller tank/containers with proper fish medicine is my much much prefered method (Usually I use medicine from API brand, both general cure and parasite cure would work depending on your purpose and your parasite). ====>>> Why I don't like manganate bath??? --> Manganate is a strong oxidize chemical, even we human use to disinfect wounds and it's super effective at killing microbes or simple organism. So basically you are dipping the whole fish in a oxidization solution and hoping that the oxidization process kill off all parasites/bacteria (simple organism) before it gets to your fish tissue. Long bath is not good at all and cause serious stress, basically just imagine you have manganate in your organs.
Other proper fish medicine instead of using oxidization, actually use proper chemicals that kill off the targeted parasite/bacteria. Without causing problem to the fish.
Now back to the method you are doing. - M Fluke kill flukes but it also kill the beneficial bacteria that convert Ammonia to Nitrate. You can google "Nitrogen Cycle" if you don't know what I mean.
- M fluke is a chemical, most chemicals do not react to UV light so turning off does not affect the effectiveness of the chemical. Also I think you should have UV light on as UV light can kill parasite/bacteria.
- Parasites may and may not kill fish. They usually kill fish when they reproduce so fast that they overtake vital organs such as gills, guts,..... Or they cause open wounds that later get infected (Fish with strong immune system don't get infected that easily though). So unless you found parasites in the gills of your dead fish (or guts or open wound) then I doubt parasite is the culprit.
My suspicion would be constant water changes + catching and bathing that cause water shock and stress the fish.
Do you know what is the parasite you saw? Its very hard to treat parasite in a 6000l pond just by adding chemicals. Also chemicals that kill parasites will also kill beneficial bacteria --> Ammonia spikes.
My suggestion - Test ammonia again (It's likely to be high now) - Anything higher than 0.5ppm is no good. => If ammonia is high then do water change -> Go buy some bacteria products (It might be expensive in your area) or Go find someone with established filter and ask for some media.
Identify the parasite you saw -> Also see if parasite exists in recently dead fish.
Increase water movement (basically increase areation in the water) -> I found koi and such species are healthier in flowing water
Re: Discuss never successful bred in community?
@Fishlady: yes yes that's what I meant but I had no idea what it is called :P Anyway I will give it a try. My discus are literally laying eggs weekly now since it's raining season.
@Alysonpeaches: Honestly I don't find them that hard to keep even though I know that they are famous for being picky. I kept my tank basically outdoor and it takes all the rain water. I mostly only do water changes during dry season. The lesson I learned when I first started (I did lost some fish) is that make sure you de-worm them and give them proper treatment to avoid long term healthy issue. And give them a big enough tank because they will grow fast. After those lessons, I never lost any discus again!! (Well I did lost 1 more but it was due to jumping :( ). In my community tank, Cardinal tetra, GBRam casualty number is higher than anything else. Never found out why they died though...
I really believe that as long as you understand, do your homework and be gentle. All fish is fine. The biggest killer of discus is stress I think.