I don't know where you read that, but it's very wrong. The term "feeder" is used for the common goldfish in countries where feeding liv fish is allowed (it's illegal here). Nonetheless, if allowed to live instead of being fed to other fish they will grow to a foot long in a couple of years. If they are kept in a tank that is too small they will become stunted and susceptible to all kinds of problems with the swim bladder, internal organs and immune system.
OK Thanks Fishlady I am going to start just making a new one each week then.
Since my last posts not a great deal has changed other than that the previous area terror lost scales from originally had a little reddening around it. We were at our local aquatics centre and asked someone there and he said it was likely bacteria/infection creeping back in - I told him we were using esha2000 he said we should use something stronger but didn't elaborate. We told him about the epsom salt baths and he said we should try marine level tonic salt baths but only for max 3 min (he actually gave us a bag of it for free to help the fish).
Although he seemed very knowledgeable (who doesn't compared to me Lol) I thought I'd best ask about that here before I just go dropping fish in it - could you please let me know your thoughts? Also diet wise I am feeding a mix of solient green, frozen peas and a small amount of sinking pond stick.
I have attached some pics of him in the medical tank they aren't very good as he was moving but hopefully it demonstrates the 'reddening' I was trying too refer to. One pic is just to show the bloat on his one side.
Unfortunately, a 10 gallon is much too small for any goldfish. I suspect the reason for his problem is that the small tank has stunted him and compromised his swim bladder. He should have been about a foot long by 2 years old and he looks an awful lot smaller than that. You could try medicating with Esha 2000 in case he has an internal bacterial infection making matters worse, but really the most likely cause is stunting.
I have a 10 gallon tank with four goldfish. My tank has been set up for 8 years, and only one of the original four has died so far. I don’t have any ammonia or nitrate test kits and I’m going on vacation today so I can’t get them.
One of my goldfish refuses to eat and lies on the bottom of the tank of its side. I’m not sure if it’s a disease or ammonia poisoning so I moved it to a temporary bucket in case it infected other fish. Can someone tell me what’s wrong?
It also sounds like the treatment used is or contains methylene blue which will kill the "good" bacteria in a cycled tank and once again expose the fish to ammonia and nitrite which may explain the stubborn infection in that one fish (he may be weaker than the others).
You need to check whether your filter is fully cycled by testing the water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If you don't have a test kit you need to get one, liquid-based (not paper strips) a.s.a.p. to test the water with. The API Master Test Kit contains all the essentials. Test the pH too, as guppies and especially mollies need to be in hard alkaline water to thrive. Ich is common in mollies kept in soft water.
To treat the ich effectively, do a large water change, put the temperature back to normal and treat with Esha Exit.
Molly fish has had ick for almost a month, done everything, wont go away.
So i recently just started getting into fishkeeping and I started out with a 20 gallon tank that I decided I would get tropical fish for.
I set up the tank and cycled the water for a month,Then I got 2 mollies from my local PetSmart and bought 6 guppy babies from a breeder, things were going great the first few weeks after that.. then my one molly got ick
it got bad pretty fast but I noticed it quick enough, I went out and bought some Ick medication (not sure what kind but its a pitch blue color) and I brought my tanks temp up to about 85-86 degrees
2 of my guppies died but the rest of my fish survived the ick infestation and the majority of the ick seemed to be killed off.
So as we speak, All my other fish have NO signs of ick on them anywhere, but the one fish that the ick seemed to latch onto first my white Molly still has ick.. It seemed to almost be completely gone but the other day i checked again and he has more spots...
since I see no signs of ick in the tank with my other fish, I decided to take out the white molly today and placed him in a smaller 10 gallon tank and am going to continue to treat him with the higher temp and medication, and i am going to continue to treat my other fish just to be safe, also to make sure any ick still on the bottom of the tank dies.
So what should I do? am I doing something wrong? Its just weird to me I cured all my other fish (atleast it appears to be) but the one fish?