After a lot of thought, I have now decided to give up my beloved tank.
Questions are: how much should I sell it for? should I sell all the equipment together or separately? where should I advertise?
I can bring it all to the mainland (central Scotland)in April.
List is not complete: 55 gallon (48") tank with thick glass (10mm)- with hand-built solid pine cabinet and lid - see my profile. (cost ?800 one year ago) T5 double light unit with bulbs (one year old) T8 light unit and bulb reflectors Fluval 305 external filter (one year old) Fluval 4+ internal filter Eheim heater (one year old) Very large piece of bogwood - 2' x 2' plus box full of smaller pieces Arcadia 35 litre tank (quarantine) with dedicated heater, filter and lights (8 months old) 2-3 spare heaters 3 air pumps (including one battery powered) Huge selection of treatments and test kits, including API master test kit Water containers Plastic tanks for transporting spiney fish
Any suggestions welcome - any interest too!
Don't worry - I do intend to start keeping fish again despite my disaster - but we are considering building a new house on the croft, so I feel it's best to wait until I can do my dream tank built into a wall! At which time I'll be back with a vengence seeking out folks advice!
... But then I spent a whole day there once - I checked everything was in stock before I left, hired a van, drove the hundred miles, got there, ordered my kitchen, to discover it wasn't actually in stock, kicked up, had to rechoose everything and rethink it all there and then (whilst irritable and irrational), spent ?6000 in one go kitting out a flat I had just renovated and then spent the next week building furniture and hanging blinds, etc.
But, where else can you buy every little thing you need for a new home - from tattie peelers to tv units, curtains to kitchens... I don't do traipsing round lots of shops!
I still have to go whenever I'm on the mainland - and always come out with way more than I went in for! It's so easy to pick something up and say - 'ooh, I need one of those' when you don't really!
You may have seen my latest post - 'bad news'? That will explain my 'thoroughness'.
My advice would be to have a 2nd heater, filter, etc - just in case one fails, and a battery powered air pump. I would also advise you to ensure the air temperature around the tank is high enough to keep them going if the power does fail.
Lights on timers for approx 6 hours per day, and if not on timers, best left off rather than on.
Auto feeders have their flaws - I have an Eheim one which takes an hour to drop the food, by which time the flakes are soggy and stuck to it, and are not released from the feeder.
I'd run your auto lights and feeders through the week too, as you will soon spot anything that is wrong with them rather than finding out when it's too late. Supplement the feeding with those blocks if you feel it is necessary.
I was stung by leaving mine unattended - and the result was disastrous - but going by all the nice comments left by others it was a pretty unfortunate event that I would hope won't happen to everyone.
New problem - got up this morning and the water was brown and cloudy - fish was at surface gasping for breath. I did an emergency water change using water from the big tank and it has cleared a little, but seems to be going back the same way. Fish is slower but seems okay.
Vet had said that if water goes brown not to put my hand in - is this a normal thing to happen and how would you deal with it?
Now that the water has been changed, should I redose?
That's him finally caught and in his q/t tank. I waited til my boyfriend was able to help as he's a bugger to catch, without dismantling the place - probably spent 2 hours standing over tank with nets in last few days!
I dosed him with 20 mg per gallon and he has an air pump and filter going, but will keep an eye on aeration.
I intend to leave him in there for 7 days. Unfortunately I am away for six days after that, so wondering what to do if no sign of improvement...
Could I do a water change and redose on day 7; remove him from tank and put into a bath for 15 mins with the strong dose and return to tank or just stick him back into the big tank? I am sceptical about putting him back in without any sign of improvement or I will have to go through the whole process again!
Okay LHG - I now finally have an antibiotic for my fish. Things take a while up here!
It is terramycin soluble powder - 5% - oxytetracycline. They suggest adding levels of 13-120 mg per gallon... What kind of amount would you use?! Seems an awful big difference. It is worth noting that the infected area is a lot worse now, and some fin clamping going on.
Also - I am a little nervous of a serious reaction to the medication - if he goes daft, is it safe to stick him back in the big tank. Would you consider euthanasia if no sign of improvement after the five days, or break and then redose? If so, would you carry out regular water changes between doses? Would increasing temperature help speed up the life cycle of bacteria? Reason I mention euthanasia is because it is eating away at him very slowly, and if left untreated will be a prolonged, horrible death, that I'd rather save him from by getting it over with quickly.
Want to get this right! Thank you for all your advice.
Though not quite the news I was hoping, at least I know what is required.
Firstly, I shall see my vet for the antibiotics - probably be a few days on order - so will set up my quarantine tank in prep. I have an 8 gallon one with filter, lid, light and heater - will this do? Would also have to order a tank if not (lack of pet shops, or any shops on this rock).
Where would I get accriflavine?
Yup, catching him will be tricky - my tank is deliberately set up to have lots of hidey holes - so will need to be taken apart completely, including the huge piece of bogwood that needs two people to lift!
Would the fish carry the disease for long? I haven't added anything, even plants, since March/April... And would you go so far as to scrub wood and other decor, as well as clean gravel, etc?