Well, they're in. Managed to get two yesterday, picked out the largest and one of the smallest in the shop tank to hope for a male/female combination. The larger immeditaley set up shop in a large mound of shells to the right of the tank and the smaller retreated to the other side where there is a smaller pile of shells and hid underneath them.
Twenty four hours later and the larger one is hidden inside the shell in the middle of the clump and the smaller one is hovering outside the entrance to his. If it catches me watching it quickly swoops round and darts inside.
All the pieces of the puzzle are coming together now. Shells delivered this morning and that was the last bit I needed to get the tank prepped. Once that is done I need to find some somewhere. I'll hit the local shop first as I think they had something shell dwellery last time I was in there.
Ahh hah, great value shells, thanks for the link, Cathie.
It is to be a species only tank, though the problem of what to do when/if it gets over-run with fry is one that needs some thought. I potentially have a larger, 120l tank I could use in the future - are there any suitable Tang species that could double up as crowd control in a 120l tank?
I bought some sand today, probably too much for the small tank, but could come in handy if I am compelled to move to the bigger one. Some black limpopo sand from unipac.
The Bolivian Ram passed away over night, reached a good age, and was expected but still a sad moment. Still as one life ends a new life begins. Just noticed two spawning in the main tank in the living room :)
Hi guys, just looking at the possibility of starting a small colony of shellies in a 60l tank I have. It's housing an aged bolivian ram with a small group of black neon dithers at the moment, and when the ram passes on (it's around 5 years old) I'm thinking I'll move the neons into the large bolivian ram tank I maintain elsewhere.
Just wondering how many escargot shells I should be looking for and how much sand (any particular reccomendation on type?) I'll need.
How many? 1m, two female? I'll be using remineralised RO.
Actually, the juveniles in the video aren't the main attraction, for that goes to the first ram I managed to raise from the spawn back in October last year has managed to attract the attention of her father. Vent is out, pits are being dug and any one getting too near to the prime real estate under the archway of bog wood is chased off in no time. She is still pretty small, a third of the size of the large male, so will be interesting to see those two "go at it" on the rock.
I won't be attempting to raise the spawn: no space to house them. I doubt they'll survive in the main tank either. Overstocked with juvenile rams as it is all looking for a tasty snack; and I guess as this will be the youngster's first attempt things might go wrong anyway.
Just received my e700 through the post as the free gift for subscribing to PFK.
Plumbed it into the goldfish tank. Moved the meterial from two other filters into it and off it went. The pipe work seems a bit bulky, so had some fun positioning it, but everythng in and turning over nicely.
Running that alongside a Fluval 3+ internal and treated myself to a new red cap oranda to accompany the existing fish in there. Everyone happy as larry so far. Me with the filter, the oranda with his new mate.
Sorry to bump, but just thought I'd add my thoughts on the filter. Seems pretty good value so far (well it was free(ish)), and has a nice pre-filter on the edges of the top basket, for easy cleaning/replacement.
This evening I had the pleasure of moving a bunch of new fish from quarantine. Usually an exercise in frustration, only this time while I was flailing around with the net they went to hide under a coconut shell in the tank. Bother, I thought, so I dropped the net and went to remove the shell from the tank to clear the way.
I flipped the shell over as I picked it up and upon bringing to the surface discovered two fish had been caught in it ;)
It held enough water to transport the fish safely to their new home. I did it for the rest of them, and what often takes 30 - 60 mins of frustration was over in under five minutes. Chase them under the shell, tip it over onto it's back and bring to surface with the cargo safe and sound inside