Dem Dem
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/12/2010 18:37
Power Cuts - the best resolution i have ever seen #1
Hi All,

You may have seen my previous posts on trying to cope with power cuts. I think i have found a brilliant resolution and thought i'd share it!!!

My husband bought me an APC UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply). For anyone that isnt familiar with them its a giant battery pack that is generally used to power computer systems short term. It plugs into a standard socket and charges up, the plug for a filter, air pump, light etc then plugs into it. If the mains power fails the battery kicks in within a split second and then runs until flat or (hopefully) until the mains power returns.

Anyway back to the point This morning my power went off at 9am and came back on at 1pm. I plugged the filter (a 15 watt Fluval 305) into my fully charged UPS which kicked in nicely and ran until the power came back on. Hopefuly all bacteria in the tank are alive and kicking!!!

I found that there are range of UPS's on the market, some more powerful than others, mine takes about 16 hours to charge fully but will run for in excess of 4 hours with just the filter plugged in. I lifted the outlet head slightly above the water so a little splashing produced enough oxygen and my air stone and light were not plugged in as I thought these would be power draining luxuries.

Great for emergencies and cost me about ?70 plus VAT.

Anyway, possibly a nice Christmas pressie for our scaley babies!!

Dem
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 10/12/2010 23:30
Re: Power Cuts - the best resolution i have ever seen #2
oooh, linky link Dem

I'd like some more info on make/brand etc so I can do a bit of research. We have the odd short cuts here so this could replace the battery air pumps I use.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Dem Dem
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 11/12/2010 17:23
Re: Power Cuts - the best resolution i have ever seen #3
Hi Violet,

This is a link to the UPS that I have

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/ ... E400%2DUK&total_watts=200

it can be purchased from loads of places and depending on the wattage you load it up with it should give you plenty of time. of course if the battery did go flat you can swap to the battery air pumps as a final straw.

As I said i got 4 hours out of it with just the filter plugged in and there is still charge in it as the mains came back on.

Also as you leave it plugged in permenantly if the power goes off while you are at work or the shops it'll kick in with no surprises when you get home!

Dem
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 11/12/2010 18:57
Re: Power Cuts - the best resolution i have ever seen #4
Your Fluval 305 is rated as 220 V, 60 Hz. My Eheim Ecco comes in at 230 V, 50 Hz so I think I'll give it a try as I should get a similar run time

I have the Juwel filter too as back up and that's classed as 230 V, but will probally just run the external on the UPS as an emergency measure to ensure some longevity in an emergency. The main tank should then at least tick over until power resumes. The 2nd smaller tank will have to make do with the battery driven airstones for now.

Thank Dem, this is very helpful. Looks like our fish are getting the same present from Santa this year
Dem Dem
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 14/12/2010 6:27
Re: Power Cuts - the best resolution i have ever seen #5
sounds like it'll work for you Violet!!

I think my fish will do better than me this year on presents hahaha.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 18/12/2010 18:43
Re: Power Cuts - the best resolution i have ever seen #6
Hi Dem

The UPS x 2 arrived a few days ago and were installed as per the instructions, having to link the battery and all that first. It's my christmas present from Mr V I only asked for one for the main 180 l tank, but he said he didn't want the neons to suffer in the smaller tank (they are his favourites). He knows how to treat a lady!

OH asked if I wanted them wrapping but no I plugged straight in. Couldn't have come sooner though - we had a power down here this morning for just shy of 3 hours. I'm assuming it's the weather again They worked like clockwork though, filters kicked in and took over until power came back on. Power was still left in both of the units.

No coffee or shower for me till lunchtime (urgh) but the fishies were fine (yay!)

Have the urge to do an article on powercuts now listing various options. Watch this space!