SamJDF SamJDF
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/2/2018 21:58
Is my filter set up correctly? #1
Hi there,

I am trying to clear the sand in my new tank and would love it to clear ASAP, I have ordered some API Accu Clear, so that is on the way to help too but obviously need the filter to be working correctly,

My tank is from All Pond Solutions and is a Boyu 300L, it uses a drip filter which I struggled to set up as the instructions was in Chinese/Japanese,
I have no media for the good bacteria in yet, am going to add it from my old tank once the sand is cleared, today I bought filter wool for the filter but am just unsure if it is all set up correctly and would love for someone/some people to check out a video I recorded to make sure it is set up correctly and all working fine! and potentially estimate how long it will take for the sand to clear by looking at the sandiness of the tank (spoiler, its very sandy) and the filter,

if the filter isnt set up correctly or if there is anything to add, please tell me! I would love it to be working 100% and for the sand to clear asap,

so please watch the video I link after this and help me out!

Thank you :)

videoV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWg2YPKeuy8
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/2/2018 9:55
Re: Is my filter set up correctly? #2
Hi Sam,

Yes the filter is set up correctly. You may need to do a couple of big water changes to help clearing the sand dust as it does look pretty bad.

If you got the tank from APS I think they should have supplied some filter media with it - maybe ring and ask them, as you mentioned in another post that yours won't fill the trays.
SamJDF SamJDF
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 11/2/2018 9:57
Re: Is my filter set up correctly? #3
My main concern is losing sand , i have it all in there but with it all floating in the water, and obviously when i do more water changes itll kick it back up, wont doing water changes remove the sand i have added? or do you think the sand will sit at the bottom?
Fishadmin Fishadmin
  • Webmaster
  • Webmaster
  • From Spain
  • Group: Webmasters Registered Users LFS Caresheets Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/2/2018 9:58
Re: Is my filter set up correctly? #4
Also ask them for a manual. They could at least pay someone to translate the Chinese one so they could send a printed copy with the tank each time.
SamJDF SamJDF
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 11/2/2018 10:01
Re: Is my filter set up correctly? #5
This was also in the filter packaging, I think I have an idea or where itd go but im not too sure what it does

Attach file:

png  (0.00 KB)

SamJDF SamJDF
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 11/2/2018 10:08
Re: Is my filter set up correctly? #6
that also leads onto my other question,

how do I do water changes without disturbing the sand? itll just kick right back up when I add new water?
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/2/2018 11:54
Re: Is my filter set up correctly? #7
Hold the syphon a little above the sand. Make swirling motions with it to disturb the debris and that should suck up the debris without the sand. Even if you do suck up some sand, though, you can give it a swirl in the bucket with the old tank water to remove as much debris as possible, then pour out the old tank water and return the sand to the tank.

To pour new, dechlorinated water back into the tank, pour it onto a plate placed on the bottom of the tank and that should prevent disturbing the sand.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/2/2018 14:54
Re: Is my filter set up correctly? #8
That's called a venturi. There should be a little nozzle that the tube slides on to and it will introduce air into the water flow. The knob on top regulates how much air is added.