Page: (1) 2 »
 Register To Post
Home wanted for growing Goldfish
Posted on: 18/11/2010 8:49
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone in the Bristol area wishes to re-house my daughters growing goldfish? There are 3 - 1 shubunkin type 2 inches, 1 goldfish of 3 inches and a small fancy one. They're in a 35l tank but I don't feel it is fair to keep them on in this volume of water. I think they'd need at least 60l or a pond.

Hope this is in keeping with rules - if not, please let me know

Regards

Re: Home wanted for growing Goldfish
Posted on: 18/11/2010 21:16
Group:
Registered Users
Image Admin
Caresheets
Moderators
Advisers
Hi steerpike, welcome to FK You can certainly ask if anyone can rehome your fish, no worries. You are quite right that they need a bigger home than the one you have at the mo, for anyone reading this and wondering what sort of size they need check out the link in my sig about size and life expectancy

I'm afraid I can't help you out myself as I don't have enough room for any more at the moment - hope you manage to find them a new home though

injaf.org
Check us out on facebook for more info http://www.facebook.com/INJAF

Posted on: 18/11/2010 21:33
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
Hi - thanks for your reply. Would you be able to recommend a decent tank of 60 litres or so?

Posted on: 18/11/2010 21:45
Group:
Registered Users
Image Admin
Caresheets
Moderators
Advisers
Well ideally, and brace yourself for this, we recommend 140 litres starting point for fancies and 200 litres for singletails. All goldies have the potential to grow very big indeed

Having said that though, a 60 litre will be much nicer for them than their current home so don't think I'm trying to scare you off! Clearseal do a range of basic tanks in all sorts of sizes, they are nice and reliable but you do need to factor in the cost of a bigger filter and hood as the clearseal tanks are sold as tanks then you buy other bits to go with them.

What sort of budget are you looking at? eBay is a great place for bargains; Juwel and Fluval do nice set ups. Depends what sort of thing you are looking for, do you want something that comes with stand/cabinet and filter or do you just want a tank?

injaf.org

Posted on: 18/11/2010 21:50
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
....well, I thought this one looked quite a bargain as it has lots of accessories.

What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... &ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Posted on: 18/11/2010 22:06
Group:
Registered Users
Image Admin
Caresheets
Moderators
Advisers
I'm not au fait with those filters I'm afraid so I'm not sure how good they are. You do get quite a bit there though. Having said that, and going into bargain hunter mode, 50/60 is maybe a little on the steep side for that sort of thing on eBay. I've picked up one twice the size on eBay with filter, heater, stand and all manner of extras for less than that before now That's not to say it's not a decent deal but it doesn't say what brand it is or whether it has lighting (I'm guessing not as you can't see it in the pics). Not that lighting is crucial for goldies.

Is there no persuading you towards a bigger one?

On a side note, does your fancy get on all right with the other two? Sometimes fancies don't compete so well for food against their more streamlined cousins. Also, male commons/singletails sometimes think fancies (of either sex) are female and can get a little hopeful about romance. Commons are programmed to think anything fatter than them is a girl so confusion often sets in when you mix commons and fancies!

injaf.org

Posted on: 18/11/2010 22:11
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
hmmm - ok, will consider something bigger, but I'm a bit concerned about the weight when full. I'd honestly rather re-house them and get some smaller tropicals I think.

They all seem to get on fine yes, though the biggest fish is very energetic and tends to hog the food.

Posted on: 18/11/2010 22:32
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
i paid 59 for a 60 litre brand new tank from maidenhead aquatics with filter etc and all the trimming for my son! i'd say thats a bit of a bum deal on ebay anyway!

Posted on: 28/11/2010 17:38
Group:
Registered Users
FK Supporter
Steerpike - if you can come to Exeter, you are more than welcome to take away my 90L tank and its Fluval 4 filter. Has lights and gravel and a stand too. It would certainly be fine for yours while you save up for a bigger one then!!!

Or if anyone else here would like it before it goes on ebay, please shout!

Catherine

Posted on: 28/11/2010 17:43
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
Catherine that's really decent of you to offer this - I couldn't accept without making an cash offer though. By happy coincidence I may be in Exeter next week as my sister lives there!

If you have a figure in mind then let me know and we'll strike a deal. My daughter has since informed me that I'm not to give her fish away under any circumstances so this would be perfect!

Page: (1) 2 »