Register now!
Main Menu
Adverfishments
Sick fish...please help!
Posted on: 11/1/2018 15:31
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
Hi, I have a 3 inch shubunkin that I bought indoors for the winter. I am building a larger pond this year (2000 Litres), but currently only have a small pond that is quite shallow, hence the reason he has come indoors.
He is currently housed in a 110 litre tank with quite a few plants. I check the water quality a few times each week using Pondlab test kit, and everything is exactly as it should be. I recently bought a new ph kit as I thought that may be an issue...but that is fine too. I check the temperature and make sure that the weekly water changes of 25% are at the same temp, and use tapsafe or freshstart. As far as I can tell this is NOT a water quality issue.
My shubunkin started flashing about a month ago (I bought him indoors at the beginning of November), I added a general fish tonic as there were no visible signs, but it didn't stop. I later tried 0.1% aquarium salt with a fish health booster, and he seemed fine after that. About two weeks ago he started...well, I can only describe it as spluttering and having a seizure. He seems to stop breathing afterwards and drops to the bottom, then he'll start flipping about about again and then starts breathing again. After hours of looking online it seemed it may be internal parasites or gill flukes, so I've been adding an anti parasite medication (Waterlife)...I'm on the final treatment today and he is so lethargic, hasn't eaten for three days and has spasms every half an hour or so. He tries to eat, but can't seem to keep it in, it just comes straight out again.
This fish means the world to me...can anyone help? I know that everyone will start talking about ammonia and nitrates, nitrites etc...but believe me, I've tested the water constantly and it's always good. I've tried 50% water changes and it seems to make him worse.
Thank you for reading...I'm so incredibly worried about him.

Sorry, should have added...no physical signs of anything. No red streaks, sores, fungal growths, worms or...anything. He looks fine, but is very unhappy right now, clamped fins and his seizures. I've tried everything...and feel a bit lost now!

Re: Sick fish...please help!
Posted on: 11/1/2018 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
Advisers
Sorry to read of this. I do empathise as my goldfish meant the world to me (RIP) and I was often absolutely beside myself when something was awry.

If ammonia and nitrite are at 0, and nitrates are less than 20 (or no more than 20 above your tap water level), then might water hardness (GH/KH) or PH differ between pond and tank at all? If not, then itís possible that it may be down to one of the numerous other aspects that unfortunately test kits donít measure for Ė one of these being hormones/stress...

Itís possible that heís having trouble adjusting to the smaller space (although I would have thought this would have shown up in the first month). Some more plants might be helpful or something that makes him feel safer and can be structured/arranged in such a way as to provide shelter, but not decor which heís in danger of getting stuck in if he grows or injuring himself on if itís sharp.

Is there a substrate (such as sand or gravel), and, if so, is there any possibility that he could have swallowed some of it? The three different culprits I found for my goldfish having seizure-like episodes were a change of tank to a bigger environment (presumably stressful at first), the filter having been off for a few hours (and thus presumably a mini-cycle occurring), and swallowing gravel. The latter may account for him not managing to keep his food down and the problems breathing.

Is there a filter in the tank and could it be going through the ďcyclingĒ process?

Is there anything being used in the vicinity of the fishtank which may be getting into the tank such as aerosol sprays, scented candles, perfumised air fresheners, etc?

A bit of a long shot but it may be worth checking your water/utility company website, just to be certain that there hasnít been a water quality problem in your area or any treatment added to the water recently. On another note, many areas are increasingly adding chloramine to the water, and it looks as though Tapsafe treats chloramine whereas Fresh Start doesnít Ė it might be worth using the Tapsafe only for a while.

Iím at a loss as to what to suggest in terms of treatment Ė although Iíd be inclined to give the aquarium salt another go as, like you, I had positive outcomes with that. However, I donít think itís going to get to the root of the problem. If that alone isnít helping, then perhaps have another go of the fish health booster which you mentioned.

Maybe someone else will be able to provide further suggestions as what direction to take after that, if these donít help...

Re: Sick fish...please help!
Posted on: 12/1/2018 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
Hi, thank you for the reply and the kind words and understanding. I do have a filter...and this morning I noticed it has started humming, I have tinnitus so difficult for me to hear things over that, so I'm wondering if it's been humming for some time now and it's that causing the problems...as odd as it may sound, I'm sure fish can get headaches too from annoying sounds and vibrations. Sooo...going to see if I can fix that or get a new one asap. I turned it off for a bit whilst having a look at it and after about thirty minutes he's actually perked up a little, so maybe I've found the cause, although the seizures still seem a bit odd. I'll also check the water company too, good advice, thank you. I tried to look in his mouth to see if he's swallowed some gravel, but he's so small it's difficult to see, but it looked clear as far as I could see...and when he eats peas (which he loves) I can always see a huge lump of pea in his mouth :)
And, after a quick shift around of my furniture, I'm going to make him an indoor pond until he can go back outside. For a £2.95 fish, he's had about £500 spent on him so far, and about another £1000 for the new pond...but he's worth it :) Thanks again!