Main Menu
Adverfishments
New tank - Goldfish on bottom
Posted on: 13/2/2017 13:31
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
Hi folks

New member here looking for a bit of help with my poorly fish.

Symptoms:

-Fancy goldfish upside down on the bottom of the tank
-Inflamed/enlarged anal vent
-Twitching/convulsing
-Occasional short burst of energy and swimming
-No previous health issues

Background:

-Added 3 fancy goldfish to a new 200L tank
-Pre-cycled filters/media used
-Ammonia sat at 0, nitrite at 0.5ppm, nitrate at 0
-Tank at room temperature (probably around ~15c/60f)
-pH/hardness consistent with previous tank
-Fish in tank less than 24hrs
-Woke up the next morning and found one of my fish in trouble

Other

- Diet: 3 small meals a day, a mix between Hikari sinking pellet, bloodworms, Fluvial Veg pellets and peas.
- Filters are Fluvial C3 HOBs with a plan to add a new canister filter shortly

So yeah, hopefully that gives you a bit of background. Basically I'd set my tank up, but due do living restrictions (shared house) I couldn't run it side-by-side with my old tank. My plan was to use my pre-cycled media to jump start the new tank, but keep a daily/watchful eye on water parameters. Unfortunately before I really got started Yoghurt (my panda moor) looks like she's in trouble. I'm really struggling to think what the issue could be, unless it's stress from the change in environment.

Anyway, any help or suggestions would be gratefully received! Thanks in advanced, Tom :)

Re: New tank - Goldfish on bottom
Posted on: 13/2/2017 18:48
Group:
Registered Users
Image Admin
Caresheets
Moderators
Advisers
FK Supporter
You have nitrite at 0.5 which is seriously toxic to fish so you need to change water to get it down to 0. Test daily as this may be ongoing for a few days or longer after the move and change water every time nitrite or ammonia are above 0.

Posted on: 14/2/2017 4:54
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
Hi,

Fishlady is right it's very toxic to fish!

Anyway just some suggestion as bringing nitrite to 0 IS A MUST but it will also make the cycle process take longer.

1. Take 1/3 of the filter media to some water container (prefer something big)
2. If you have an extra filter then great! Run the filter with that media in that container and add extra NH3 to cycle that media.
NOTE: DO NOT ADD TOO MUCH AMMONIA. In small water container with high NH3 concentration can also kill bacteria. 5ppm is good enough
3. If you don't have extra filter, put an airstone in the middle of the media to create water flow + oxygen for the bacteria.
4. Test for NH3, NO2, NO3 to see when the cycling is finished then put the media back in

The whole idea is cycling the media outside of the tank so that the media will be readied to be used faster than cycling in the tank with fish.

Posted on: 15/2/2017 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Basic Membership
Hopefully the good advice above will help Yoghurt - it can't be emphasised enough how crucial it is to get and keep ammonia, nitrite and nitrates at non-toxic levels, if to prevent acute or chronic/repeated health problems from occurring.

One additional thought which springs to mind, based on what you describe, is that there's a possibility that the upside-down status plus the enlarged anal vent have been caused by swallowing and then expelling some substrate (gravel). If that's the case, then possibly, in addition to the above, it might be worth slightly altering the diet more in favour of the peas and bloodworm for a few days, just to ensure that any pieces still in there are encouraged to pass through more easily and rather than potentially pressing on the swimbladder. Even if this isn't what has occurred, it ought to help release any blockages (eg constipation) which may be pressing on the swimbladder.

If, after a week or ten days of trying the advice above plus the advice here, the anal vent still looks red/enlarged, do let us know, and we'll do our best to advise further on a course of action - eg at that stage, it might be worth considering a small dose of aquarium salt or possibly isolating her and administering eSHa 2000 or Waterlife Myxazin - but I'm hoping the issue will be able to be addressed without any of this by following the advice already given.

Best of luck!