• Just popping in
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 18/9/2016 17:01
What breed are my fish? #1
Can you let me know what type of fancy fish I have
I think I know two of them but I'm stuck on the spotty one
Thanks
Also is it normal for them to sit at the bottom every so often only for a like 30 seconds then they go off swimming again?
This is my first tank, I've had them for 11 months they were tiny when I got them x

Attach file:

jpeg  (1,080.15 KB)
19869_57deba65ae941.jpeg 3264X2448 px
mrmmouse mrmmouse
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 18/9/2016 18:16
Re: What breed are my fish? #2
Not so good on Goldfish but the black one is a Black Moor,
This may help....
http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfish/goldfish.htm
Chris
FishFanatic FishFanatic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 2/10/2016 18:35
Re: What breed are my fish? #3
Yep, the black one is definitely a black moor. The orange fish with a few black dots is a ryukin while the other orange fish (completely orange) is a fantail.

With regards to their swimming habits of sitting on the bottom.......I would suggest that the temperature of the water is fine since they housed in an indoor tank.

I would look at weekly tank maintenance; drain off 10% of your total water every week and replace it with fresh/tap water but only AFTER adding tap safe or another chlorine dechlorinator. Make sure that the dechlore you buy also removes chloromine as some often dont. Both chlorine and chloromine can be deadly to fish regardless of it coming out of our taps! Make sure you use the amount recommended on the bottle for the water volume of your tank.

Reduce the feeding to half the amount of what you usually feed and see what happens after 7 days. If your fish are a lot more responsive to less food after 7 days than what they currently are then you're on the right track! Your fish will not starve to death as there is always a source of food in a tank from plants an debris in and around gravel. Over feeding any fish can and most probably will result in stress. Stress leads to a dangerously low immunity to disease and bacteria which in turn could lead to fin-rot, white spot, internal issues that can be irreversible.

And last but not least.....the size of your tank. If this is too small for your fish then you could have fish stress issues that again result in........you get message by now.

Less food, more clean water, more space = happy habitat.

Others will have their opinions however this advise will only help :)

Keeper of Japanese and Israeli koi carp and goldies for over 15 years.