worzal worzal
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From West Sussex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/7/2015 14:07
Light and Filter #1
Hi,

I am quite new to this hobby so was wondering if I could pick your brains about two things.

1 - Lights, I recently bought a second hand tank to rehome a goldfish I rescued. It however didn't have a lights built in or with it and I want to light up the tank in the evening to see what's going on and also to possibly grow a few low maintenance plants. Any suggestions On something I can buy that will od the job but not break the bank?

2 - Filter, I currently have a fluval 4 plus which is working well but is old and quite noisy in the tank, I was hoping to upgrade to external to help keep on top of all the waste and other bits and to get rid of the big box inside the tank which is ugly and takes up valuable space. It is 120L tank (not large enough for my goldie I know but it is the best I could afford and fit in my flat) any recommendations would be great. also if it was a bit larger than what is actually required for the litre per hour ratio then it could be used if I ever upgrade too.

Thanks
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 28/7/2015 16:11
Re: Light and Filter #2
Hi

These Hydor Filters are excellent value for money and very efficient and reliable. I have one on one of my own tanks. The link shows them at Aquacadabra, so if you look at the stickies in the member's lounge you'll find a discount code for FK members which you can use to get a bit off.

For lights, if the tank is open top, one of these would do the job. Orinoco Aquatics do several sizes so just get the size that fits the tank width. I have one on one of my tanks and it's very good.
worzal worzal
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From West Sussex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/7/2015 20:39
Re: Light and Filter #3
Thanks for the reply, the filters look good and I will look into them!

My tank has a lid, well 2 actually there is sliding glass sections and then a wooden black flip opening! So I am not sure that those lights would be suitable!