maxiemoo maxiemoo
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Merseyside
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 24/5/2015 20:42
spots on fish, help. #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum and indeed to fish keeping but am in need of advice. My son was given a small tank with 2 fancy goldfish for his birthday. After only a month we lost one of them to what I'm pretty sure was swimbladder. We waited a couple of weeks to ensure 5he other fish was ok before deciding to invest in a bigger tank. We bought a jewel 700l, after setting it up and adding necessary chemicals I also added old filter matter from previous tank. We waited a few days before adding our fish. After another week we did a 50% water change and added a second new fish. Again we waited a further week and today carried out a 25% water change (advice from fish supply shop) and added our 3rd fish. It was shortly after this that I noticed our original fish, a black moor had 2 white spots on his tail fins. After consulting the Internet it was suggesting white spot and we rushed back to the fish shop just before closing and bought some white spot treatment. First dose was administered to tank a few hours ago. However the more I look at these spots now the more they look sort of fluffy and I am concerned that it may be fungal and I have administered the wrong thing in haste. What should I do?. I will try and upload photo.
Just to add after reading up for the last few hours I am worried that I haven't been testing the water levels. I wasn't aware of this and after buying all our equipment and fish from the same store I'm a bit peeved that this wasn't mentioned to us. Any advice would be gratefully received, be gentle please 😊

Attach file:

jpg  (802.25 KB)
18512_556229a737707.jpg 1329X986 px
Miss Dorsal Miss Dorsal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 24/5/2015 21:27
Re: spots on fish, help. #2
Hi, I'd suggest treating the fish for a fungal infection. White spot looks like little tiny grains of salt. This looks fungal or possibly viral.

Esha 2000 is one of the best medications for clearing up fungas. You'll need to remove the medication you have already added, this can be done using carbon and a large water change. Once you've removed the current treatment, you can use the Esha 2000.

The API master kit is the best test available and the one that most fish keepers use.
maxiemoo maxiemoo
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Merseyside
  • Posted on: 24/5/2015 21:37
Re: spots on fish, help. #3
Thanks for replying. I took the carbon sponge out of my filter as directed before applying the whitespot medication. Do I simply do a large water change and replace the carbon sponge? And can I put the carbon sponge I took out earlier today back in or would I need a new one ?
Miss Dorsal Miss Dorsal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 25/5/2015 0:02
Re: spots on fish, help. #4
Use a new sponge, unless the one you removed was only very recently added. Carbon becomes exhausted pretty quickly in fish tanks.
maxiemoo maxiemoo
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Merseyside
  • Posted on: 27/5/2015 20:46
Re: spots on fish, help. #5
Hi,I have not been able to get hold of esha 2000. In the meantime I carried out a 50% water change on 1st night and a 30% change for the next 2 nights. I've bought some pimafix but before I dose the tank I wanted some advice. My tank was set up 4 weeks ago, the water readings are:
Ammonia 0.25
CL: 0
Ph: 6.8
KH: 6?d
Gh: 8?d
NO2: 0
NO3: 10

The instructions on the Pimafix state to dose daily for 7 days and then carry out a 25% water change.? Because my ammonia is still too high I am concerned about not doing a water change for 7 days after I've medicated.? Can anyone advise please.

?20150527_122109.jp