maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/10/2014 9:58
Urgent: Fish lice! #1
Morning,

Just woke up this morning and did my usual check on the fish only to find one of the fish has a louse attached to his dorsal fin, unmistakable disc-shaped louse with moving legs, kind of green in colour - this may also explain why one of my other Oranda's has been kind of "off colour" for a couple of days.

I have been frantically looking up treatments this morning, I see Interpet do an Anti-Crustacean treatment (No.12) but this kills off the biological filter - as this is the only aquarium in my house I have no practical way of moving the filter & keeping the bacteria alive while I treat the tank and all of the inhabitants.

Does anyone know of any lice / parasite treatment that doesn't affect the biological filter OR know of a method where I could move the filter out and keep the bacteria alive for seven days while I treat the whole tank and the fish? I don't want to have to start the biological filter again from scratch especially when we're talking about 8 fancies in a 600l tank, far too risky in my opinion.

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/10/2014 10:14
Re: Urgent: Fish lice! #2
Waterlife Parazin is filter safe, will be safer for the fish and is much more likely to be effective. If you can't get it locally, it's available here.
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 19/10/2014 10:16
Re: Urgent: Fish lice! #3
You must have read my mind! Was just looking up Parazin as you responded, will ring around locally - many thanks for replying so quickly!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/10/2014 10:17
Re: Urgent: Fish lice! #4
FX for a quick cure
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 27/10/2014 12:59
Re: Urgent: Fish lice! #5
Hi,

Well it took a little while for the Parazin to arrive but it finally arrived Thursday and I dosed the tank that night.

I used 5 tablets which treats a volume of approx. 575 litres which is prob about the right volume of the tank once displacement has been taken into account. I dissolved the tablets as best I could in a bucket (was stirring for over 20 minutes) but there was still some powdery residue that wouldn't dissolve.

Do you have any experience with Parazin? Do you know how long it normally takes before the lice begin dying off?

Looked at the fish this morning and the little green blighters are still happily hitching a ride on a couple of the fish and don't seem adversely affected by the medication - I'm probably too impatient though!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 27/10/2014 13:25
Re: Urgent: Fish lice! #6
Usual advice with Parazin for lice is to give it 10 days. If there are any still alive after that, repeat the treatment.