• Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/2/2006 22:13
advise for newbies from newbies #1
Reply to another thread

Hi Guys

I'd throw in my limited knowledge. I agree with every one, too many fish over a short period of time. If you’re going to add fish once a week, only one or two at a time (size of fish being the deciding factor of course).

I've been reading a lot of the old threads and it seems this is a common problem. I think this stems from the fact that no one can give a solid answer to the "How may fish can I stock" question.

From what I gather reading different internet sources, and please correct me if I’m wrong, you should allow 1” of fish per 1 - 2 Gal (depending on source). I figure that it’s best to go with the latter and ADD an extra ½ gal or so per fish. Better to have a partially filled tank than one filled to its max and have poorly fish, you can always add plants for visual interest.

This, I think, is the really important part of the post and I hope you all agree. Unless you have a good relationship with your lfs, NEVER TRUST A SALES PERSON, generally they are students or teenagers just filling holiday time. I knew a guy in Bristol who actually studied for a degree in fish - farming/keeping/anatomy etc (a degree no less. Thought it was a bit fishy at the time) He was employed at local aquatic centre and said he couldn’t believe the rubbish some of his colleagues were coming out with. Lost contact with him unfortunately

Hope this helps,

Afrosteve
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 2/2/2006 22:24
Re: advise for newbies from newbies #2
Hi Afrosteve!

The problem with stocking rules is that some fish refuse to conform to them, the irritating little fellas So while I would use the inch per gallon as a general rule for a freshwater tropical community, it wouldn't work for goldies or oscars (and a whole bunch of other fish). It's a right pain, isn't it?

Spot on with the sales assistant thing, I have come across some proper morons in the past.
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 2/2/2006 22:36
Re: advise for newbies from newbies #3
may i point out that im a teenager who works at an LFS and i think i give rather good advice, granted i do go with the cycle with fish, but i always sell a dose of filter bacteria + plants with it which IMO is a good thing to do

the staff know what they're talking about as well

but the stocking rules are rubbish tbh things like tetra sized fish can be kept at 4" per gallon due to low waste + effective filtration and water changes but oscars are like one or 2 or maybe 3 fish per 5ft tank + pleco and maybe some other fish, maybe
so it changes in each circumstance, like i had 2.5" per gallon in my rekord 70 tropical tank ubtil last week when i gave em all away, i'm now going for a minimalistic approach to the amount of fish so i dont need to do water changes every week but will still do one most weeks
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Posted on: 2/2/2006 23:04
Re: advise for newbies from newbies #4
Quote:

TheDragonLord wrote:
may i point out that im a teenager who works at an LFS and i think i give rather good advice, granted i do go with the cycle with fish, but i always sell a dose of filter bacteria + plants with it which IMO is a good thing to do

the staff know what they're talking about as well

We know you know what you're doing but a newbie won't know good advice from bad advice, I think that's what Steve is getting at.
DNAman DNAman
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Buckinghamshire
  • Posted on: 2/2/2006 23:25
Re: advise for newbies from newbies #5
ok, some I'm a novice at the moment as well. But I have read up much on keeping tropical fish, and fish stocking.

One interesting article I would like to share I came across while reading the interview on the PFK website with Dr David Ford (Interview here), an eminent aquarist. If you go to his website and read his advice on fish stocking levels he maintains that stocking is more reliant on adequate filtration and regular aquarium maintenance rather than on any specific rule about fish length versus aquarium volume.

Dr Fords opinion on 'How many fishes?'

Having said that, a reasonable guide using the length versus volume is, in my opinion, useful for someone starting their first aquarium. After some experience, and regular water testing, one gains knowledge of their own setup, and can find what their real stocking level is.

Just my two pence worth
Resized Image
afrosteve afrosteve
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 3/2/2006 19:04
Re: advise for newbies from newbies #6
Hey up

Didn't mean to cause offence

I agree that it's very dependant on the type of fish. maybe i should have said I keep white cloud minnows.

All I was trying to get at was to let other newbies know it's better to under stock than over stock

Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 3/2/2006 19:41
Re: advise for newbies from newbies #7
Its always better to understock than overstock 'common sence really' and steve wasn't talking about all Lfs staff Chris, but most don't know the first thing about proper fishkeeping as you know, there are a few that give excellent advice but sadly the majority don't

and thanks somethingfishy for the doc link
afrosteve afrosteve
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 11/2/2006 19:31
Re: advise for newbies from newbies #8
Hello guys,

I’m gonna put this in this link because I’m sure it must be a common newbie question/reaction:

My tanks been running for a few months now but I’m really not happy with the set up. I want to reduce the amount of gravel (every time I clean it releases so much rubbish), my plants - live and fake - have brown crap covering the leaves (some algae, mostly detritus), one of my pieces of driftwood is covered in brown fuzzy stuff (I suspect hair algae but it hasn’t spread so not sure)

Fish are fine. Water parameters are fine I just want to get rid of all the rubbish and make it more pleasing to the eye, and in doing so making it more pleasant for the fish. Is this selfish and how would I do this without causing stress to the guys?

Afrosteve
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Posted on: 11/2/2006 21:05
Re: advise for newbies from newbies #9
I think you should leave it for now, new tanks take a while to settle down. How deep is your gravel?
afrosteve afrosteve
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 11/2/2006 21:21
Re: advise for newbies from newbies #10
Hey fishy

The gravel is deeper than most site I’ve visited recommend, about 1” at front to roughly 3” at the back. My beef with the gravel is that I can’t clean it without stirring up a load of rubbish. I feel a thinner layer would be easier, I’ll see if I can get some images of what I find annoying.

Again going back to the original post, I’m just not happy with the way it looks and although the fishes health are paramount we keep them for aesthetic pleasure.

Afrosteve