Eded Eded
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/1/2011 17:36
Confused by filter #1
Hi,

I have a Marina S15 filter and it comes with 2 different types of filter cartridges and the filter will hold up to 3 cartridges at any one time. The 2 types are shown here:

Hagen marina slim filter

I maybe being stupid but...I'm starting a tropical set up and obviously need to use the topical cartridge (Bio Carb), but will they be sufficient for removing everything or do I also need the Bio Clear as it specifically says good at removing ammonia or will the tropical cartridges do that anyway? It's not massively clear on the info what to do.

Thanks

Ed
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 16/1/2011 17:53
Re: Confused by filter #2
Hi Ed

Both types of filter media are a load of pants really, there's lots of clever marketing blurb on that site!

There are 3 kinds of filtration- biological, mechanical and chemical. Your average freshwater tanks needs 2 kinds to function

Biological filtration is the process of good bacteria turning ammonia into nitrIte and then into nitrAte. These bacteria can live on sponges or on bits of ceramic media like bio balls or hoops.

Mechanical filtration is the process of physically removing bits of poo etc from the water. This is done by sponges, filter floss etc. Mechanical filtration can also be biological so you can have a filter with just a sponge- lots of small filters work this way.

Chemical filtration is stuff like zeolite and carbon that removes nasties like ammonia from the water. Generally this stuff needs replacing every few weeks so companies will always tell you that you need it (£££££! for them) but with a sensibly stocked tank with functioning biological and mechanical filtration it's not necessary at all. I don't think any of the regulars on FK use carbon or zeolite routinely.

If you can't get just a plain sponge to fit your filter then you can always cut one to size.

Hope that clears things up a bit!

ETA- bit concerned that they say to replace cartridges every month this is one of the pitfalls of using carbon filtration that can't be separated- you have no choice but to throw out the carbon but you're also throwing out a fair bit of good bacteria.
Eded Eded
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 16/1/2011 18:19
Re: Confused by filter #3
Thanks. So are you saying that if I buy a sponge and stick it in the filter, which I am sure is possible, I can just get rid of the cartridges all together? I only set my tank up on friday and I've used a bacteria boosting formulae and I've adding a few plants as well, but I take it it not too late to just do a straight swap.

Alternatively I also have one of these:

Aqua One Maxi 101f filter

Should I just use this instead?
Also do I need to add ammonia or fish food or is that the job of the Nutrafin Cycle I've been adding.

Sorry for all the questions I'm very new to this and don't want to get it wrong.

Thanks.
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Posted on: 16/1/2011 18:52
Re: Confused by filter #4
No worries, better to get it right now before you have fish!

I've not used either of the filters so it;'s up to you which one you use. Yes, if you just use a plain old sponge in the filter than you can ditch the cartridges altogether.

The nutrafin cycle stuff does chuff all in my experience, the cycle will probably still take 4-6 weeks and you will need to add a source of ammonia. Using household ammonia gives you better control but it's not always easy to get hold of. If you do use the fish food method then put a handful in a clean stocking (ask first if it's not yours ) and hang it in the tank, then you won't have loads of fish food to clean up when the cycle's done.
Eded Eded
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 16/1/2011 18:58
Re: Confused by filter #5
Great, thanks! I'll probably use the spare one now which is just a sponge filter and go off and try and find some ammonia or a stocking.

One last question though, is there a well known book, like a sort of fish keepers bible that you know of? Thought it would be handy to get hold of some kind of literature that I can always refer back too f things go horribly wrong ever.

Thanks again

Ed
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Posted on: 16/1/2011 19:09
Re: Confused by filter #6
Yeah, it's called fishkeeping.co.uk

If you're looking for a general fishkeeping book then Tropical Fishlopaedia is good. One thing to bear in mind though is that fishkeeping is a fast moving hobby and that books can become outdated quite quickly.
small paul small paul
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Denbighshire
  • Posted on: 16/1/2011 19:57
Re: Confused by filter #7
fishy fishy wrote.
if you just use a plain old sponge

many years ago i used a bathroom sponge (new) in a filter and it wiped my tank out.
i suggest you get your sponge that are meant for filters
sorry fishy fishy dont mean to be rude but i didnt want eded to make the same mistake as i did
kind regards
paul
Resized Image
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Posted on: 16/1/2011 20:08
Re: Confused by filter #8
Hmm, yes using a bathroom sponge would definitely be bad!
small paul small paul
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Denbighshire
  • Posted on: 16/1/2011 20:15
Re: Confused by filter #9
LOL

regards
paul
Resized Image
honeybee honeybee
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 17/1/2011 9:56
Re: Confused by filter #10
I wonder if someone may be able to help me regarding my juwel filter?

I read in in thread ages ago (cannot find it now) that the carbon filter is not necessary unless you are putting meds in your tank & its ok to replace it with another sponge. So, which sponge do I put in instead....fine or coarse?

I'm thinking coarse as the carbon sponge seems to be a coarse one...just double checking

Also, the filters seem a lot cheaper & say genuine juwel....are there a lot of fakes out there?

Ta very much