MossmanX MossmanX
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/8/2010 14:44
Freshwater Shrimp #1
Hello All,

I'm brand new to this - so sorry if I get anything wrong....

I've just purchased a fluval edge 23l tank with the sole intention of keeping fw shrimp (cherry red, initially).

I'm setting up tonight and will start to cycle, bob in a couple of small plants, a mossball and some wood (pre-soaked). I will also add the 'cycle' product - friendly bacteria that come with the tank set up.

My question is how long before I can add the shrimp - will this weekend be too soon? I think I know the answer, but am just impatient... o_O

I couldn't see anyone posting about fw shrimp, so any other advice or general tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing your responses!
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 3/8/2010 14:58
Re: Freshwater Shrimp #2
Hello, welcome to FK

A lot of us do keep shrimp, mostly with fish but also on their own. Your shrimp set up idea sounds pretty good The 'Cycle' stuff unfortunately does not do anything, I have tried it in the past and the length of the cycle was shortened by a few days at best (although this could just be a coincidence). A cycle can take up to 6 weeks but it's definitely worth doing as shrimp can be very sensitive to poor water quality. It's also a good idea to test the nitrAte in your tap water because it can be quite high in some areas.

I dig the impatience thing None of us like having to wait 6 weeks! It's just one of those things unfortunately.
MossmanX MossmanX
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 3/8/2010 15:30
Re: Freshwater Shrimp #3
Hi, and thanks Fishy-Fishy!

I will start my cycling from now then and just watch other people's shrimp on youtube for the time being!

I got all excited and was hoping there was a simple quick method (can't anyone sell bottled cycled water w/ bacteria?! - dragon's den anyone?) but alas I will stick it out and go for the long haul.

Must say I'm glad I've found this - the article in my sig will help loads!!

One other quick question with regards to this - if I'm adding food / ammonia as part of the cycle, get readings to zero, then stop adding and put in the shrimp (I'm thinking 10 or so), if the shrimp don't produce as much ammonia naturally as I was adding during the cycling period will the tank still be balance? Hope that makes sense? Can too much bacteria be a bad thing, or will it settle naturally?

Thanks again for quick reply and warm welcome!
I learnt this, thanks FK Forum! ~ http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm

Fish are people too
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 3/8/2010 15:42
Re: Freshwater Shrimp #4
If you end up with too much bacteria then some will just die off and you will be left with enough to process the ammonia waste from your shrimp.

There is a product called bactinettes that I've tried that does speed things up but it's hard to get because it has to be refrigerated. If your LFS has a fridge for fresh food then they might have it. I would use it as an aid to the cycle though rather than as a miracle product that instantly cycles a tank.
MossmanX MossmanX
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 3/8/2010 19:00
Re: Freshwater Shrimp #5
thanks a lot. I think I need to wait then to cycle.

here is my set up:
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

Thanks for your help.

Does anyone else keep shrimp - if so, what are your experiences with them?

*sorry for the mess, hopefully you can all see this - will tidy it up in a bit, I promise!!
I learnt this, thanks FK Forum! ~ http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm

Fish are people too
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 3/8/2010 20:05
Re: Freshwater Shrimp #6
Quote:

MossmanX wrote:
sorry for the mess, hopefully you can all see this - will tidy it up in a bit, I promise!!

Sorted You need to have img and url as lower case
It's Not Just A Fish
MossmanX MossmanX
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 3/8/2010 21:09
Re: Freshwater Shrimp #7
Ah thanks Suey2!! Couldn't figure it out for the life of me and needed to get off on a run! (excuses excuses)

promise averted!

Fish are people too
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 3/8/2010 21:45
Re: Freshwater Shrimp #8
No worries Would you like me to move you to 'tropical'? You might get a better response about shrimp there as most are tropical fellas
It's Not Just A Fish
MossmanX MossmanX
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 3/8/2010 21:50
Re: Freshwater Shrimp #9
Oh, am I in the wrong place?

Sorry for the very noobie question - but is tropical saltwater? I'm staying freshwater you see...

I don't know though, if you think it's best then yes please!

Fish are people too
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 3/8/2010 21:56
Re: Freshwater Shrimp #10
Ah, tropical is tropical freshwater, sorry - I should have explained better Marine is saltwater (usually of a tropical temperature though) and coldwater is goldfish and things that don't like it hot

I'll move you over as most shrimp available to buy are tropical and like it a little warmer than true coldwater critturs
It's Not Just A Fish