(1) 2 »
Fizz Fizz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 26/10/2009 21:03
Rowa phos amount? #1
I have just bought some Rowa phos to add to my filter to combat my algae problem. I wondered if anyone could tell me how much I should add, as the instructions aren't clear? I have a 260l tropical tank.

Thanks!
Fizz
Brendan 1 Brendan 1
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/10/2009 23:18
Re: Rowa phos amount? #2
I have a 200l tank and I use almost a full pop-sock load in the filter. I think the more the better. I don't believe you can overdose on it.

Make sure you wash the sock once you have the rowa-phos in it, in order to wash out the fine redness.
Fizz Fizz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 27/10/2009 10:56
Re: Rowa phos amount? #3
I just found some slightly better instructions inside the pack. What a daft place to put them! I have got rowaphos all over the place trying to retrieve them!

Brendan - it says in the instructions not to rinse the Rowaphos so I've just bunged it all (100ml) in the little bag and put it in my internal filter between two squares of filter wool. Hope this it right?

Fingers crossed this will sort out my algae prob!
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 27/10/2009 12:45
Re: Rowa phos amount? #4
Most of the things you put in bags in your filter you do rise but NOT rowaphos
so, which one of you has the X chromosome which meant you read them???
They should give details about how much to use according to your phosphate reading and tank size.
It is more than you would think.
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Howard Howard
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 27/10/2009 13:22
Re: Rowa phos amount? #5
It all depends on your Po4 level at the start ...

What is your Po4 reading ? If i remember correctly its :-

100ml - 400l
250ml - 1000l
500ml - 2000l
1000ml - 4000l

but this all depends on phosphate levels in water, on rock in gravel , and other substrates.

You need to test the tank first , with a good quality test kit , Salifert for example , then add your rowaphos and test again after a day or so. When you see levels start to rise again, the rowa needs changing.

Rowa works best in a fluidised reactor , if it clumps together in a bag , its effectiveness is reduced considerably.

There are better Po4 removers now , for less money , rowa is very good , but if you are going to use a lot of it , you can find cheaper.

Good luck
Resized Image

Keep your friends close , but your anemones closer ....
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 27/10/2009 13:31
Re: Rowa phos amount? #6
What are the other ones now? and for those of us who will not be creating fluidised reactors are they suitable for sandwiching in our filters? (Even if not ideal, a large bag of rowaphos in my external filter changed when necessary makes a huge difference to my tank )
Howard Howard
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 27/10/2009 13:39
Re: Rowa phos amount? #7
I'm currently using Fauna Marin UltraPowerPhos , ?20 for 500ml , but you use much less of it as its absorbing qualities are that much better.

I've got a sample of UltiPhos XL from Ultimate Aquatics that they are trialling with UR members , that has had some good feedback. It is the next step from their UltiPhos P ... The blurb :-

Harder. P is great as it goes but it is a bit on the soft side and it tends to turn to dust if abused. So we've gone "hard as nails" with the new version.
Stronger. I got fed up of a certain phosphate remover having "unsurpassed phosphate binding power". So UltiPhos XL has around 3 to 5 times the binding capacity of P which is around 11g per kg as sold.
Cleaner. Pretty much dust free and dry so a dream to handle.
Cheaper. Twice the price of P but with 3 to 5 times the capacity. If you fluidise it in clean water then it is less than half the price of P per mg of phosphate removed. When you consider that P was already the cheapest per mg of phosphate removed that's a good saving.

And you can't go wrong with Muzzys ( www.tanktests.co.uk ) Phos 'n' Doc which is Po4 remover mixed with carbon so it's an all in one and it's a very good price. It's meant to go in a reactor , but i imagine it would be ok in an external.
Resized Image

Keep your friends close , but your anemones closer ....
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 27/10/2009 21:56
Re: Rowa phos amount? #8
Depends on initial tap water phosphate reading Fizzi and size of tank. My tap water phospate reads 5, but 3 to 4 big heaped dessert spoons of rowaphos in the end of a pop sock in the filter brings this down to 0-0.25 in my 180 litre tank. I replace about every 2 months as levels start to increase when I do the usual weekly water changes/readings. Crucial thing is to spread it evenly and thinly enough for the water to pass through it in the filter as opposed to around it.

Edit: Might check out some of those cheaper brands now though since Howard posted
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Fizz Fizz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 31/10/2009 18:12
Re: Rowa phos amount? #9
I've ordered a Salifert Phos testing kit so I'll have a better idea of my Phosphate levels and I'll pop back if I have any more questions. I'm just desperate to beat the blue-green algae that is spoiling my lovely tank!

Thanks for all your help!
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 31/10/2009 18:49
Re: Rowa phos amount? #10
It is vile stuff, meantime you just have to keep siphoning every scrap out and minimise lighting