SamJDF SamJDF
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/2/2018 22:00
Will this be ok for the filter? #1
Hi!

So I have ordered some 'Bio Balls Biological Filter Media' and 'High Grade Activated Carbon' for the filter, got it recommended the fish shop and it seemed about right,
That wont come for a few days and even then I will need it to cycle,

So- if you see the photo, that media I am holding up is from the old fish tank, filled with good bacteria, would it be ok if tomorrow I put it in the trey I am holding above and then add the fish in after, and then when the other bio balls etc come I will add them as well as keeping the old media in?
I just need to add my fish to this new tank asap, so would that work or no? (the photo shows the size of it and where id put it etc, obviously id have it lying down in there under the filter wool, just holding it up to show it)

Attach file:

jpg  (0.00 KB)

Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/2/2018 22:47
Re: Will this be ok for the filter? #2
Yes, that will be fine. You don't really need carbon though. Most of us don't use it as it has to be replaced regularly and takes up space that could support more bio media. Carbon doesn't do anything for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate but can be used to remove chemical contaminants such as medication at the end of treatment or staining from bog wood and so on. It can help make the water appear clearer though and some do use it for that. If it's left in, rather than being changed every few weeks, it becomes inactive as a chemical filter, but then acts as a biological medium as bacteria will colonise it.
SamJDF SamJDF
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 11/2/2018 22:50
Re: Will this be ok for the filter? #3
Oh I see! well I bought two sets of the bio balls so I can just fill it with that and have the carbon in my fish box just incase!

but having that media from the old tank, despite it being smaller, will be fine? and then add the bio balls when they come?

where should i place it? where im holding it above in the first compartment under the filter wool or above the filter wool?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/2/2018 23:13
Re: Will this be ok for the filter? #4
I would put it under the wool
SamJDF SamJDF
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 11/2/2018 23:32
Re: Will this be ok for the filter? #5
Okay brilliant!

its now in there, the size of it takes up about half of one tray but in a few days my bio balls should come in the post,
ive put some wool on top of it so the water trinkles down onto the wool and then onto the old media, its in the first compartment closest to the back,when the bio balls come ill add them to all the compartments,

ill leave it like half hour and then add my 5 fish into the tank, exciting :)
SamJDF SamJDF
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 12/2/2018 0:01
Re: Will this be ok for the filter? #6
*edit to the reply I just did, here is a photo of it*

Attach file:

png  (0.00 KB)