SamJDF SamJDF
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/2/2018 2:14
How to stop a sandy tank? #1
My 300L tank arrived today! took me quite some time to set it up, it was a pain getting up the stairs

I added two bags of 13KG sand into it, is plenty but as i added water it got cloudy and is now... very cloudy, ive had to re-set up the 94L for my little goldies for a temp home until the new tank is in a usable state,

how do i get the sand to settle, quickly!

Also with the tank... 300L is quite a lot, very big tank, doing a 20% water change every week is 60L changed each week, right? whats a fast way of getting water in and out the tank? at the moment I use a cooking pot which sure does take its time haha, any advice for that as well?

(i attached a photo of the cloudy tank for reference, you can see it next to the old tank too, good size comparison! (thats the old tank before I re-set it up) )

Attach file:

png  (0.00 KB)

Fishadmin Fishadmin
  • Webmaster
  • Webmaster
  • From Spain
  • Group: Webmasters Registered Users LFS Caresheets Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/2/2018 9:31
Re: How to stop a sandy tank? #2
What type of sand did you add? I imagine it will settle.

There's one thing I noticed in the picture is the electricity extension is next to the tank. It would be good to have this above the tank or to the side with a drip loop so water can't drip down the cable into the socket.

The cable from the tank doesn't look very long.. they should make them much longer so the power can be far away from the tank!

More info here: http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... id=271670#forumpost271670 see the drip loop diagram.
SamJDF SamJDF
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 9/2/2018 9:34
Re: How to stop a sandy tank? #3
Im not sure it was just one from a pet store!

Is there anything I can do to help it settle? im thinking no to water changes because then i lose out on sand thats in the water surly?

the drip tray hasnt actually been set up yet, when i saw how cloudy the tank was i had to quickly set up the 94L again for my fish, thats why the cable is like that, when the tank is clear enough to add my fish then the cable will go the complete other side of the tank and there be plenty of room!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/2/2018 10:17
Re: How to stop a sandy tank? #4
Sam, did you wash the sand before you put it in the tank? If you didn't there will be a lot of fine dust which could take a long time to settle. You can try adding some API Accuclear and using some fine floss in the filter to pull the particles out of the water. Once it clears, change the filter wool. You haven't moved your media from the old tank yet have you?
SamJDF SamJDF
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 9/2/2018 11:36
Re: How to stop a sandy tank? #5
I cant get anything right now to help clear it, i might just have to wait until it clears on its own ):

I havent set up any filter in the 300L, it has a drip filter but came with no sponges or anything at all and I have NO CLUE how to set it up, all instructions are in chinese! and just looking at it confuses me! and it didnt come with any sponges, so idk if theyr needed or where to get them!

everything in the 94L tank is left as is, didnt mess with the flter yet
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/2/2018 11:55
Re: How to stop a sandy tank? #6
OK. You'll need to get some filter wool and put that in the media tray to filter out the dust. When your ready to move the fish, put your old media in the new tank's tray.
SamJDF SamJDF
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 9/2/2018 16:34
Re: How to stop a sandy tank? #7
Ordered the API stuff and will grab some of the wool from my local per store tomorrow
Using both of these, do you know how long it'll be before the water is clear enough to add my fish? (Tank is 300l )

Also, once the tank is ready to add the fish I just going to straight up add the older filter into the new tank as well, instead of just replacing the media, would that be ok?

I also need help with- I don't know how to set up the drip dikter! It's a 300l boyu tank, I just can't figure it out or find anything ! The instructions are in Chinese so they're no use!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 9/2/2018 17:17
Re: How to stop a sandy tank? #8
It should settle in 24-48 hours once you have the filter wool in place. The Accuclear will deal with the very fine particles. When you're ready just move your media into the trays on the new tank. There's a YouTube video here showing how to set up the filter on one of these tanks.
SamJDF SamJDF
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 10/2/2018 14:27
Re: How to stop a sandy tank? #9
Managed to fit the filter together and have the filter wool all across it, so hopefully the sand clears up soon!

My question about the stones holding the good bacteria in my other filter (i think you refer to it as media?) is that, its small compared to my current filter, so where would I lay them? I read in the comments of the video you linked that the media goes ontop of the whool with the water dripping onto it but my one from the old tank is not even quarter of the size of the new filter! where do i put it and is it still ok to put my fish straight in once the media is put wherever you tell me to?