• Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Kent
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/8/2017 15:22
Swimbladder?? #1
Hi all.
I think my goldfish has swim bladder.
He has just started to rest with his head down. He is still swimming fine, it's just when he stops.
I think I have caught it early but how do I help him before it gets worse??
Thank you.

I can't even get a good photo of him doing it. He does it on and off. He's currently sitting fine. Every time I try to get a photo he moves.
aimz aimz
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 11/8/2017 15:24
Re: Swimbladder?? #2
Oh forgot to say he spends a lot of time in the corner. Talking to his reflection
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/8/2017 19:37
Re: Swimbladder?? #3
It does indeed seem as though there is a problem with the swimbladder. In order to address this, though, we need to get to the root of what is causing it.

I see that you've had similar problems before with other fish and there's some helpful advice here http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... e=&topic_id=36799&forum=1, including pointers to the Caresheets and Articles section of the website.

Are you now housing your fish in a more suitably-sized environment, performing regular water quality tests, etc? It may help us to get to the root of the problem if you tell us more about this, your water quality test results pre- water changes, your water change regime, how long you've had the fish, whether there are other tankmates, etc, etc.

Once we get to the root of the problem, then we'll advise how to address this and treat accordingly. Looking forward to hearing back from you.
aimz aimz
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 11/8/2017 19:49
Re: Swimbladder?? #4
Hi fcmf,
He is an only fish in a large tank.
He has just moved into this one so haven't done a water test yet but am hoping to get one done over the weekend.

Yea I had this with an oranda if I remember rightly a few years back. First time this guy has had a problem.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/8/2017 21:03
Re: Swimbladder?? #5
When you moved him into the new tank, did you transfer the existing filter (and, more importantly, its filter media) or did you set up a new filter with new filter media? If it's a new filter with new filter media, or if you changed the filter media or ran the existing filter media under tapwater rather than squeezing it in being-discarded aquarium water, then the problem almost certainly lies with the filter going through a fish-in cycle. Following tips from this article http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... ammonia-nitrite-spike.htm should help you address this but large daily water changes will be key - these will reduce the presence of ammonia or nitrite which are toxic in any quantities (and thereby ought to reduce the swimbladder type problems as well as other potential illnesses).

If you transferred the existing filter (or at least its filter media) into the new tank and didn't change the filter media or run it under tapwater, then there may be another reason accounting for the problems. However, without your own test kit to monitor water quality as previously advised, this is impossible to tell - the reason for having your own test kit is to be able to monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrate regularly as this will fluctuate over the course of a week between weekly water changes and a test is only valid at the date/time it's done.

If you can be more specific about the tank size, water change regime, and also let us know feeding regime, what type of goldfish he is (is he the blackmoor that you mention having previously?) etc, we might be able to get closer to identifying the source of the problem, if it's not the filter cycling; thanks.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/8/2017 22:25
Re: Swimbladder?? #6
Quote:

aimz wrote:
Hi fcmf,
He is an only fish in a large tank.

How large?